Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microphone and Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

witchick

witchick

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi all. Well, my laptop's motherboard just went out and I bought a new computer today.Yay. It's a HP Pavillion 6500z CTO...the entertainment PC. It came with Vista however and I requested XP because I really could not handle that. However now that I have opened up the computer, I was trying to webcamchat and the microphone is not working though the webcam is fine. Also, the volume is so loud and no matter if I mute the little speaker in the taskbar, it still has sound. Also in device manager, there is the "other devices" tab and it has a yellow question mark saying unknown device. I have nothing plugged in though. I have not checked all the things out but it also comes with bluetooth and finger reader...the bluetooth is sayin it is not detected but I do not know if I need to turn it on somehow. The finger reader I have no clue about.
I really hope you can help me out soon!
Would love to be able to use my mic and bluetooth!
Thanks!
Please let me know if you need to know any other information :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well if it was originally designed for vista and you now have xp on it... you may have compatibility/driver issues.... The bios may not even be xp compatible....

witchick

witchick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
oh ok. But wouldn't the Bios being incompatible affect everything?it seems to be running fine. I found some people with similar problems last night and they got a driver that worked for the sound control and i got that and now i can mute, increase/decrease volume etc.
Just the mic is still not working.
And would you by chance know what this means?
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{8A7442ED-C871-4859-B56E-D68A0EC0D1F5}-\RP14\A0001730.exe

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yeah I had a friend who bought a laptop with xp instead of vista and he had no control of the brightness/contrast of the screen.... We finally got it out of the manufacturer that the bios on the laptop was incompatible with xp and they had me flash it.... that just killed it completely so they had him send it back and they replaced it as he had ordered it with xp preinstalled and they neglected to flash it to the correct bios for him in the first place...

that is a file in the system restore directory why?

witchick

witchick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ahh....ok. Well...I'm not sure what to do then. haha. I'm still going to google around and see if I get any more info on the mic thing. I've always been told stay away from the BIOS if I don't know what I'm doing...lolz. So unless it's clear what I might need to do from you guys, I'll wait with that, since this comp is new.
And i wrote that entry there because it popped up on my screen from AVG saying its a PUP!I don't know if that is because of the edit to the sound driver I just did or what!? But the sound works now so I don't want to undo it...I googled that too and people said turn off restore, reboot, then turn restore back on. Should I go ahead and do that!?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It's an archive created by windows system restore feature ( that file you where asking about ) and it is very possible that something bad got archived... I have many times had to wipe out the system restore points because they had a virus or some other malware archived in them....

-- edit --

oh sorry yes you could turn restore off and reboot then turn it back on.... that would get rid of that...

Edited by shard92, 18 June 2008 - 03:13 PM.

witchick

witchick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ohh great thanks!I will do that then. And...well...on the HP site...they have this section for drivers for XP users.

» HP Quick Launch Buttons
01-2008 6.30 J - 20.39M

» HP Quick Launch Buttons
12-2007 6.40 B - 19.65M

I just realized my quick launch isnt responding too(haha) so...do you know what the difference is between these?Or anyone will work?

And also, this chipset driver....I don't really even know what a chipset is but....will this fix the mic thing?Do you know?

Driver - Chipset

» NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver and Network Controller
08-2006 8.62 A - 9.75M

-edit-
figured maybe I'll post the site of drivers I'm looking at instead
lolz
http://h10025.www1.h...r...049&lang=en

Edited by witchick, 18 June 2008 - 03:19 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
as far as the quick launch it looks like one is newer.... try the newer first.... The chipset is the basic motherboard driver.... It might fix the microphone issue and it might not... you would want to look and see if there is an audio driver for that particular one..It could also be that the mic doesn't work..... did you try it in vista first?

witchick

witchick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey there shard!
Well, after using that site and....some other random sites that had my problem, I got the bluetooth to work and the mic
They the device manager error with the question mark maybe be the quick launch thing. That isnt resolved yet but...I'll get to that. The most important things are working.
As soon as I try the quick launch and finger reader and it works I'll post here.
Everything worked in Vista but I really couldnt handle vista..so i made the company i got it from put XP. I guess they didnt test alll the drivers properly. Don't really want to go back there...so, it's ok. Things seem to be working out ok.
It really was/is a driver compatibility issue