Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just installed XP

• Please log in to reply

kmag

kmag

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I get the error message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of connection."

I don't know why it says 1394 connection instead of local area connection like other xp's. If I need ot update, how would I? I don't know how to find the version or where to find the updates. The only way I know how to update is over the... internet.

Please help! :)

I tried looking for this on the internet. But no one else had just installed xp, so none seemed to have the same problem. :/

Edited by kmag, 18 June 2008 - 02:41 AM.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello kmag,
The 1394 connection you see is the firewire card/connection. After you re-installed XP, did you go to device manager to make sure you have the drivers for your NIC and also the ethernet controller drivers?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi kmag,

Reset TCP/IP from command prompt: "netsh int ip reset".

Regards,

mirso

atul sunsunwal

atul sunsunwal

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi kmag,
u must have got the drivers cd with your motherboard. install the drivers first. It will also include LAN driver for LAN connection( other than 1394). go to control panel->network connection ->Local Area Connection.
right click it n select properties.
then choose TCP/IP. set it according to your internet connection.

kmag

kmag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i'm going to try the command
and then later try installing the drivers then.