Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice needed on website design (screen resolution problem)

• Please log in to reply

harpo99

harpo99

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am new to web design and have set up a site for my walking club:

www.goodtimes.gr/sas

I based this design on a template but have now found that on some PCs with higher screen resolutions the text/photos run over the side border. My own laptop can display at 1024x768 or 600x800 and the site is ok at these settings.

I guess this is something to do with the background image size being fixed (?). Can somebody point me in the right direction as to how I should go about fixing this problem. I would like to avoid having to scrap the site and starting all over again.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

hiloh2o

hiloh2o

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
the website looks great on my resolution. 1024x768.
harpo99,

but if you need to resize the page i would go into your CSS template. You will see

#Layer1 {
position:absolute;
width:494px;
height:186px;
z-index:1;
left: 227px;
top: 223px;

Change those values to percentages. But the thing about that is that it wount match up with your header. My rule of thumb when designing webpages is to make sure that it looks good in the most number of webpages. You will not be able to accomidate everyones resolution.
If you are worried you can use Google Analytics (google.com/analytics) and track the screen resolution of the people that visit your page. make sure that most everyone can see your page the way you want it to be seen.

Hope this helps
Christy

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would toss all the absolute positioning. You can not make your pages fluid using absolute positioning and the effects you see on browser window resizing is always going to happen. Especially if you made your pages at a higher res with absolute positioning and expect everything to look the same when you change the window size much less change the res. Percents are much better to use and ems for font sizes.

Considering the strict doc type you are using, you need to correct these 27 HTML code errors. Your CSS met CSS level 2.1 ok.

Ron