Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup problem after windows recovery

• Please log in to reply

besb421

besb421

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) Hi,my name is Len and i'm new to this forum and, fairly novice with the tech' side of computers. My problem is this: My ''Scaleo P'' desktop failed to start. It just produced a flash of blue screen on startup and then repeatedly tried to restart whether i tried in safe mode or any other alternative.
Finally i reluctantly decided to use the recovery disc and reinstalled windows. All went as it should untill the conclusion. After the final restart on startup i got a line (similar to a zebra crossing along the bottom of the screen). The black lines slowly diminished as if the PC was reading files for about 10 minutes before the PC finally started. Once started though the PC is stable.
Is this a fault left by a bad installation and i have to re-install all over or, is it something i can fix with my limited knowledge?
Many thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if its stable its probably ok...
wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk on the hard drive though...
Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can most often repair numerous minor Windows problems you may have experienced . Many people regularly run chkdsk as a part of their overall computer maintenance plan.

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd ...
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing the following command where the cursor is blinking:
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press Enter...

5. a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press Enter...
7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press Enter... to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

For more information about chkdsk, visit the Microsoft site here ..

Notes: it will sometimes get to say 70 % and then jump back to say 50 %...thats ok just let it run.....this can take a long time to complete...