Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

accessing my office network while away?

• Please log in to reply

buttonsmash

buttonsmash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a wireless Linksys router, and roadrunner high speed internet. I have a office network set up so all the computers on the network can use the shared files, and print to the printers.

Where I am going does not have internet access, so I'm going to be using Alltel's data connection through my phone to give my laptop internet access.

Is there a way I can access my network and print to the printer this way?

Thanks!
Ali

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Could be very difficult without internet access I would have though. Assuming you're referring to a mobile phone connection I'd be very surprised if what you want is even feasible never mind possible.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Alltel's data connection through my phone to give my laptop internet access.

i.e. cell phone used as a tethered modem...i do it all the time with my cell phone...great in airports that don't have free internet

assuming you've got a methodology for connecting into your network it's easy to do (though it will be slow over cell networks....altel has mid to low DSL speeds on their connections if memory serves correct)

the question is...do you already have a methodology to connect back in to your network from outside line a VPN or PCanywhere or something to that effect?

buttonsmash

buttonsmash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

the question is...do you already have a methodology to connect back in to your network from outside line a VPN or PCanywhere or something to that effect?

I am using my cell phone as a tethered modem to connect to the internet. Yes, Alltel's "High Speed" connection is pretty slow.

I don't have any methodology installed currently that I know of to connect to my office network. I used to use PC Anywhere, to access my computer and literally work on the desktop in my office from a coffee shop.
Is this what I need to get again to view my network files, and print?

Thanks!
Ali

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
PCanywhere or gotomypc or any of those services would not be my first choice (personal preference)....however they are the EASIEST/quickest method to use for someone with limited networking knowledge

the absolute best method is to create an IPsec VPN with discrete authentication and all kinds of fun stuff...that's something that would probably be an exercise in futility to explain how to do here....it's not that difficult when you know where to start...but it's not easy when you don't

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
How about Hamachi?

You can install Hamachi to your away laptop and to your office computer and create a virtual network.