Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major internet connectivity problem - random

• Please log in to reply

aquaverse

aquaverse

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone. My ISP doesn't provide service to those using routers, so here's my situation. I hope someone can help.

The other day, some power flux occurred and fried an AC Adapter connecting to our modem. I replaced it and the problems began.

We have road runner internet through time warner in manhattan. Three computers linked to one modem using a Netgear 4 port DS104 router. Each one of us can connect to the internet directly through the modem box, but once we use the router, sometimes I have it and sometimes one of the others has it. It seems like whoever restarts their computer first, after the modem is restarted, gets the internet. Sometimes, 2 of us have it. But never all of us. It's really random. We also have a Linksys 5 port workhub. Same result. Again, we can all connect directly through the modem. All of us have the most recent drivers installed for our cards, and working cables.

Someone please help. I run a business on the internet and this is beginning to cramp my style. :tazz:

Thanks in advance,

AV

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Not a network guru here, but try checking the IP addresses for each computer and make sure they are not the same.

aquaverse

aquaverse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Welcome to GTG.

Not a network guru here, but try checking the IP addresses for each computer and make sure they are not the same.

View Post

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

All of our computers are configured to obtain the IP's dynamically. No settings have changed on any of our computers. The dawn Internet just stopped working for all of us at once when the AC adapter melted last week.

Any other suggestions anyone?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Just one more comment. Could it be that the modem (maybe router if connected) itself was damaged also?

Salient

Salient

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi, aquaverse

What is your connection status on the PC's that are unable to connect?

Are you getting low connectivity messages? or ones saying Windows was unable to obtain an IP address and to contact a network administrator?
Or just the constant attempting to connect but with no messages?

If some are able to connect through the router - then i doubt it's the router's fault - if it was shot it wouldn't work for anyone - unless it was possibly just a short in one of the router's port's. But that would mean the same PC would always be affected.

aquaverse

aquaverse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, aquaverse

What is your connection status on the PC's that are unable to connect?

Are you getting low connectivity messages? or ones saying Windows was unable to obtain an IP address and to contact a network administrator?
Or just the constant attempting to connect but with no messages?

If some are able to connect through the router - then i doubt it's the router's fault - if it was shot it wouldn't work for anyone - unless it was possibly just a short in one of the router's port's. But that would mean the same PC would always be affected.

View Post

My roommate did something from the Command prompt that brought up a "unable to obtain an IP address and to contact a network administrator" message at one point. Otherwise, it seems that it constantly attempt to connect. No messages in the system tray or anything, except for the usual "network unplugged" message when we pull the connection from the modem.

Again, it's weird because we can all connect directly to the modem and work fine.

Yes, it is possible the modem is broken. But then how could one of us connect successfully at all? I guess it's possible the routers are broken, but two of them? Just like that? I just find that hard to believe.

Edited by aquaverse, 29 April 2005 - 05:32 AM.

AlexR

AlexR

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Does your router have a web bowser interface? If so, can you all connect to that at the same time?

aquaverse

aquaverse

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Does your router have a web bowser interface?  If so, can you all connect to that at the same time?

View Post

Nope, no web interface. Problem still exists.

Someone on another board mentioned that maybe it was the router that was destroyed originally and that the new router I am using is not the right type of router. He said something about a "broadband router".

Any thoughts?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Please start up each pc, click Start, Run and type cmd at the command prompt type ipconfig /all make sure to leave 1 space between ipconfig and /all. Press enter. Copy down all the information from each computer and paste it back here. Do this the first time you start them all up. I want to check and see if your pc's are all receiving addresses from the router. Then if they are it would most likely be a problem with the modem.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: