Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scheduled task to log into windows

• Please log in to reply

aesvolleys

aesvolleys

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK.. I have a user that has to send an email everymorning at a specific time, which is a couple of hours before the office opens. For fear of corrupting the outlook file, I would prefer not to allow her to leave outlook open all night. My proposed to solution is to create a batch file that logs into windows XP and schedule it to run at the required time, outlook would be in the startup file and I would have the email scheduled to through outlook to send the said email.

Problem is.. I cannot figure out how to write the batch file to login to windows. I am almost at the point of allowing auto login then scheduling a batch file that restarts the computer at said time. (For security reasons, I would prefer not to do this). Can anyone help me figure this out? Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well you can't run a batch file without someone being logged in...i agree that the auto logon deal is probably not the best option either...though the batch idea wouldn't be the best idea either... there are a multitude of email schedulers that you can buy and all kinds of stuff like that...

what's the nature of the email itself? (without giving me any confidential info) like....is it just a notification of something? are there attachments? what kind of mail server do you connect to? is it your mail server?

Grumpey

Grumpey

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Couldn't you just use the task scheduler to the run the batch file, and have the user enter the login information?

aesvolleys

aesvolleys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for responding, however I have a viable fix. I deferred sending to that recipient by 5 minutes (long enough for the user to close outlook without the email sending first) then I told the user to create the email each night before she leaves and close outlook. I scheduled outlook to open at 4:30 am then to close at 5am. Even tho the user is not logged in, this has proven effective. Thanks again for trying to help.