Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

celeron 2.6 to pentium 4 2.6 - is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply

cyberspacegenie

cyberspacegenie

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all,

I have a friend who has an Acer Travelmate 244LM laptop. Its quite old and still works well. I will be doing some upgrades on it for him next week in terms of RAM and HDD. In this laptop it is possible to change the CPU too and I am wondering if it is worth doing it for him or whether it will cause more problems than it solves.

The model has a Celeron 2.6Ghz CPU (socket 478) at present. I am looking at upgrading it to a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz (socket 478) or higher. I am planning on using a Northwood chip as I have been told that the Prescot chips generate more heat. Is this feasible/worth the hassle? Are there likely to be heat issues? He is not going to get another laptop until this one dies so this is simply about making this one a little faster for him. He uses it mainly for interenet, movies, music, and a few old games.

Any help on the this would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do NOT attempt this unless you are experienced in taking apart laptop computers. I learned the hardway that they are just not worth taking apart unless you have a lot of experience. They are totally different than desktop computers and unless you have the right tools( miniature screwdrivers for instance) you will destroy more than you will fix.

Second thing is there is not enough speed difference for it to be noticeable. All you gain is a higher L1 cache.

SRX660