Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

color problem

• Please log in to reply

pntballa18

pntballa18

• Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry if this is in the wrong place, i searched through all the subforums and this seemed to be the most suitable place.

so on my computer, all text (besides links) shows up as black. the backgrounds on sites also just shows up as plain white. people have said the problem is my video card, but i'm not so sure. the color in pictures all show up normal, as well as links, which still show up as blue. this started about a year ago, after I had a virus I think, so it should be able to be changed back if it was originally normal, right? so if anyone knows how to fix this, or knows if it is just a video card problem, i'd appreciate the help.

to demonstrate what the problem is, incase i'm not as good at explaining as i think i am, i'll screen shot this page

Posted Image

also, the problem is not just on firefox, it's the same on any browser i try, along with aim. for MS word, however, the colors show up for some reason

Edited by pntballa18, 18 June 2008 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I don't know if this will help, but can you reset your display (Theme) back to default? Also , have you tried troubleshooting in your display settings. Sometimes it can fix the problem. Sometimes you can reistall the display drivers over themselves to fix this sort of problem. Do not do this if you are using a Nvidia video card. With Nvidia you must uninstall the old drivers before installing new ones.

SRX660

pntballa18

pntballa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i just set my theme back to default, with no result. i've also tried troubleshooting before. could you elaborate more on the display drivers? specifically, where they are and how i would go about reinstalling them over themselves? i'm not that familiar with the inside of computers.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Lets say you have a H-P computer. Usually on the back panel of the computer there is a sticker that says what model the computer is. Once you find the model number you go to the makers website and look up any drivers there. You find the video driver and download it to your computer. I usually make a folder in the C drive and call it Downloads. I will make a sub folder named for the computer the download is for. I would name this folder H-P. Once you download the video driver to that folder( H-P). Once there i would first read any text files found with the driver download to see if there is special instructions on installing the driver. If not then just double clicking the exe file should install the drivers over the old drivers.

If nothing changes i would then think about reinstalling the Windows Operating System with a repair install to try fixing the problem. The only problem here is that you need a windows XP CD to do the repair. A Recovery CD will not do this.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

SRX660

pntballa18

pntballa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I just did that, and it didn't fix it. On top of that, it made it so my screen is much more magnified. If it matters, I have an emachines T1220. Any other ideas/know how to fix the magnifying problem?

EDIT: scratch the magnifying problem, I fixed that

Edited by pntballa18, 19 June 2008 - 10:25 AM.

pntballa18

pntballa18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
*bump* for possibly more help?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If the software does not fix the problem and you do not want to attempt a repair install of windows, it leave's you with one choice. You will need to buy a video card and install it to your computer. You may have to go in the BIOS and disable the on-board video, then install the video card. You can then install the drivers from the CD you get with the video card.

May i suggest this video card as your computer is so old it is not worth putting any real money into.

Nvidia TNT2 AGP 16 MB, $6 plus shipping

http://www.surplusco...p;item=CRD10163

SRX660