Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My network's pretty much destroyed, need some help

• Please log in to reply

StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Originally my house had two computers, an Xbox 360 (wired) and a Nintendo Wii (wireless) all accessing the same router (Linksys).

The computer I am on now has always worked flawlessly, even when anything else was also on the internet. I was always able to have either my Xbox or Wii on, and still surf the net.

Then this past weekend I bought a PS3, and since then my network has been crapping out. I went into my router settings, and turned off "DHCP" something. I forget exactly what is was called, but I turned it off because I heard the PS3 couldn't connect to anything when it was on.

The next thing I did was type "ipconfig/all" into the command promp on my PC. From there, I copied the two DNS and the one IP address into my PS3 and set it all as static. I slightly changed the IP address because originally it was interfering with this computer.

After the PS3 was set up, I could be both online with the PS3 and with my PC. However, the PC in the other room (which is wireless) no longer has any internet access, regardless of what I do. However, my PS3 is wireless and still receives my router's signal.

On top of that, the only way I can get this PC online is if I run an ethernet cable directly from my modem to it. If I try to go through the router (this PC was wired), I get no connection. I have also tried getting onto Xbox Live through the router, and I still don't get a connection.

In short, it seems as though the ports on my router are no longer working. It still broadcasts a signal, so I'm not sure what the computer in the other room is doing -- my PS3 can get online just fine, and that's wireless as well. However, anything that is wired needs to go directly to the modem to work; I've tried numerous cable and port configurations with my router, and nothing has worked. I've tried power cycling it many times, and still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I thought maybe the PS3 was "stealing" an IP address my computer needs or something, but it still won't access the net through the router, even if the PS3 is off.

Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by StealingYerMail, 18 June 2008 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Since you turned off your router's DHCP, your other consoles, which are probably set to automatic IP, can no longer get an IP address from your router. Your desktop PC and PS3 can go online since they are set to static (I'm guessing that your desktop PC is).

Try enabling your router's DHCP again. Then set your desktop PC and PS3 to automatic IP.

I don't think PS3's should have any issues with DHCP.

If PS3 really does have an issue with DHCP, then you can turn everything to static, including your wireless PC, Wii and XBox.

Hope that helps.

StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright. Well before I turned off the DHCP, the PS3 wouldn't connect, regardless of what I did. I suppose I'll give that a shot.

Would it be OK if I entered the same DNS addresses into my Xbox and Wii? I'm assuming since only one would be on at a time that it'd be OK, but I'm not sure.

StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry for the double post but figured it was more effective than an edit.

I tried going back into my router's settings and configurations, but when it's all hooked up, Firefox and IE both tell me they can't load the page. It's as if the router isn't connected to the computer. How can I access all of my router's settings without going to http://192.168.1.1?

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I have no idea as to why you can't access your router. You just did it to turn off DHCP right?
Are you using your wired desktop to access the router?
You can always reset your router back to default settings. There's a small button to do that on your router. If you do that, you should be able to access your router using default IP, username and password.

After turning on DHCP, you can still assign a static IP to your PS3 and not worry about conflicting with another IP. Your DHCP server should adjust to that static IP.

Another thing you can do is set all your consoles and computers to statiic IP.

Edited by ditrackster, 19 June 2008 - 05:30 AM.

StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The only thing that I adjusted was the DHCP setting on the router. Everything else stayed the same.

Yeah, I'm trying to use my wired desktop to access the router, but it's not going through. Also, I'm not even sure if this router came with a disc -- I kept all the system and restore discs in a CD holder in the room with the other computer (where my parents usually are) and I honestly think they may have thrown the CD out, because I can't find it.

Is the reset button on Linksys routers the Cisco Systems button? Or would there be an actual reset button?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Did you try to set a static IP for your Desktop?
You can do so by following the below steps:
  • Go to the Control Panel.
  • Open up "Network Connections"
  • Right click the LAN Adapter.
  • Open the Properties page.
  • Scroll down to TCP/IP
  • Put in the following settings.
Ip Addres: 192.168.1.123
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Sec. DNS: N/A

Then try accessing the router page again.
If you still can't access the router page then, revert the settings.

Regards,
Olrik

StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, thanks so much.

Thanks to your advice Artellos, I was able to get back to my router's page. And by the way, Pikmin is awesome.

On my router's page, I turned DHCP back on, so thanks for that tip. I also removed my WEP security... or rather, it was just gone. I'm not too worried about that though, and I have also heard the PS3 has a problem with WEP stuff.

As I'm typing this, I'm signed into the Playstation Network (so my PS3 is also online!) so right now things are running smooth. When I first got the PS3, setting it up automatically did not work; however I just updated the firmware before adjusting my router, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks for the help. I'll post again after I get a chance to see if the other computer is working right.

Edited by StealingYerMail, 19 June 2008 - 01:13 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You're welcome! :)
Feel free to post back to this topic if you have any troubles.

Regards,
Olrik

StealingYerMail

StealingYerMail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I tried the other computer, and it didn't have a connection. The wireless adapter is some crappy USB thing made by Linksys -- it's designed for Windows XP, but my dad bought it anyway... and the computer it's attached to is horribly, horribly outdated... it has like a 40GB HDD and Windows ME, and like 128MB of RAM.

At any rate, it's internet connection has always been mediocre at best, since that adapter can almost never maintain a connection with the router, and it's not even that far away.

I was also never able to access the adapter's settings through the computer... it would never load. I think we've had it for two and a half years, and I've managed to adjust the settings maybe... twice.

So I uninstalled the adapter, and tried reinstalling it. I connected it, and the computer wanted to update the drivers. Assuming it would be on the CD (which I found), I put the CD in, only to realize that the drive can't read discs anymore. Wonderful. After "installing" the adapter, it was still missing like 15 files, and it doesn't show up under program files or even under the start menu. So what should I do? This computer (the one I'm on right now) is going to go out in the other room once I get my laptop at the end of July, but as of right now, the cheap Windows ME computer is my parent's problem, meaning I don't buy stuff for it. Do you think buying a newer, better wireless adapter would help?

Edited by StealingYerMail, 19 June 2008 - 01:43 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
This is just my personal opinion (what I would do) but I think that's not really an option.
I would replace the old ME machine with a newer one.
At least 1GB of ram with XP installed.

I don't think that buying a newer wireless adapter will have any effect on the ME machine.
In fact, The drivers that wireless adapter has might not actually be compatible with windows ME.
ME isn't known to be one of the better versions of windows. In fact, I think 2000 is more used then ME still (while ME had a later release date)

Just my $0.02..

Regards,
Olrik