Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS HD Identification

• Please log in to reply

gruntxd

gruntxd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few weeks ago the hard drive in my VAIO crashed. I ordered another one (WD Scorpio 250gb SATA). When I attached it my BIOS does not recognize it. Is there a driver I need to somehow install? Do I need to make changes to BIOS? Is it my IDE?

Any ideas anyone?

I would have set BIOS to auto-detect, however my BIOS does not show that option. It's Pheonix BIOS 4.0 build 6.1.

All I have in BIOS is:

Hard disk: None

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well are you sure you got the right drive? you ask if it's your ide but you say you bought a sata drive so if you have ide then you do have the wrong drive... Also it's possible that if this drive is larger than the old one that the computer doesn't recognize anything that big.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would go to the Sony site for your model and see what is involved with using a SATA drive on your machine. If it came with an IDE drive there may be changes in the BIOS that need to be made, or you may need to update the BIOS to a different version. If it's an older machine it may have trouble seeing such a large drive. Also Google can be your friend here as there are almost surely others who have done this.

gruntxd

gruntxd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I would go to the Sony site for your model and see what is involved with using a SATA drive on your machine. If it came with an IDE drive there may be changes in the BIOS that need to be made, or you may need to update the BIOS to a different version. If it's an older machine it may have trouble seeing such a large drive. Also Google can be your friend here as there are almost surely others who have done this.

The computer is only a year old. The original drive is 160gb. I will attempt to update my BIOS. The drive I pulled out was a SATA, and I've replaced it with a SATA.

I've been perusing google non-stop over that past few days. Hopefully I will find some answers, as Sony said they will fix it for $425 dollars (shipping included). No repair is worth $425 to me, especially if they don't know the problem. They will no offer me support when I call, so they are worthless.