Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Processing Randomly

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
This is a problem which is kind of hard to explain, let alone read and understand, but I'll try to describe it.

Well, lately my computer has been "processing stuff randomly". My computer completely freezes, I can see the little green light that means that my computer is processing something flash non-stop for about 10 seconds, then everything goes back to normal when the green light goes away (Note: I'm not scanning my computer or defragmenting or doing anything else that requires "processing".)

Either that, or that little green processor light flashes intermittently exactly every second, and during that one second or so that the light is on, everything freezes, making my computer "skip". This is EXTREMELY irritating and it's beginning to get on my nerves.

I've run several virus scans with Malware Bytes' Anti-Malware, and Windows Defender.
I have defragmented my harddrive numerous times, and even if it did speed up my computer, it did nothing to solve this random processing crisis.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more details or a better explanation, I'll try my best :)

Edited by n0ng33k, 18 June 2008 - 10:24 PM.

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi n0ng33k,

Did you install something or do something, for lack of a better term, "odd," with your computer before this happened? If you're running Windows Me/XP, try a system restore and see if still have a problem.

Regards,

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Check auto-updating programs.

Check in your Firewall for any
outbound connections around the
time the skips occur.

Regards Abydos

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hi n0ng33k,

Did you install something or do something, for lack of a better term, "odd," with your computer before this happened? If you're running Windows Me/XP, try a system restore and see if still have a problem.

Regards,

Well I recently installed Firefox 3 (Did it set a new record?) However, I don't think that counts as "odd". Other than that, I don't believe I did anything to my computer recently...I'll try a system restore and see how that goes.

Check auto-updating programs.

Check in your Firewall for any
outbound connections around the
time the skips occur.

Regards Abydos

I've checked my programs, notably TuneUp 2008, CCleaner, Java, and a few others, and all of them are currently the latest version. As I'm typing this, my computer is "skipping" again, and it's getting hard to type. And could you tell me how to see outbound connections for my firewall?

Thanks.

Edited by n0ng33k, 19 June 2008 - 08:49 AM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

And could you tell me how to see outbound connections for my firewall?

What Firewall are you using?

If its Windows own Firewall, it doesn't have that function.
To check out-bound connections, you'll have to use Netstat
for that.

Netstat for Windows NT systems

Regards Abydos

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
To be honest, my former Firewall, Shaw Secure, was letting me down so I got rid of it, and I haven't really gotten a new one since, but I have installed Windows Defender...is that counts at all for a Firewall.

I've run scans of my system almost daily and there are no virus' or infected stuffs so I'm pretty sure my system is clean.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi

Windows Defender is by no means a Firewall.
Its an Anti-Spyware application.

But you do have Windows own Firewall enabled right?

Check in "MyComputer", then Control-panel
Windows Firewall or Security Center

To eliminate a program "phoning home", you could try in safe-mode
with network. If it stops skipping, you have to track down the program
causing it to skip.

Regards Abydos

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Yes I do have Windows' default Firewall, and I will indeed go into safe mode ASAP and check it out.

By the by, is Windows Firewall a decent firewall? Or should I go out and download/buy another one?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Yes I do have Windows' default Firewall, and I will indeed go into safe mode ASAP and check it out.

By the by, is Windows Firewall a decent firewall? Or should I go out and download/buy another one?

Did u try System Restore.

Regards,

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

That depends very much on your download and surfing habits.

I would say that its adequate, and that is me being polite.
The Vista Firewall, which can be configured two-ways are better, than the one in XP.

Any program trying to "phone home" will have a field day versus XP's Firewall.
So, yes, I would recommend you find a two-way firewall.

Two Firewalls I would recommend, is Online Armor and Comodo Pro 3.0.
Online Armor, a strong firewall, also featuring a strong "quiet" HIPS. Very good in leak tests.
Comodo Pro. is a Advanced Firewall, can be overwhelming for the novice to start with. "Loud" HIPS.
That said, none other, paid or free, beats Comodo at the moment!

As an alternative, you could look at Zone-Alarm. I don't know it personally, but its still way better than windows firewall, and is not as complicated as the two above.

Regards Abydos

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
mirjel, yes I have restored my system, but the annoying little skips keep on recurring...any tips?

Abydos, I just downloaded Comodo 3.0 Free version, and setting it up as I type this. Can you maybe give me a little tutorial about how to see outbound connections and what to do about this skipping? My apologies in advance if I sound a little demanding.

Edited by n0ng33k, 19 June 2008 - 03:38 PM.

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi n0ng33k

Well. Been a little while since I used it.

To see out-bound connections:

Click the Firewall button / selection
There should be a radio-button named Out-bound connections, if its not displayed in the main-field.

Only setting, you like to set, is also under Firewall (I think, can't remember 100%)
Might be located in advanced settings, not sure.
There should be, to the right, a selection named Stealth Wizard.
Click it, and select Stealth on all ports, Its the last option at the bottom.

Otherwise, it is ready as is, "out-of-box".

Regarding HIPS and Defense+, You'll have to have some patience. It will bombard you with popups.
Eventually, it will dwindle till you only get a popup once or twice a week. Depending on your download / install
habits that is. Comodo gives many popups during installation, a way to soften it a bit, is to look at the bottom on
main-screen. There is a selction called Installation mode, use that whenever you install something.

In the beginning, you might have to google some of the services and apps it warns about. Take it head-high, and see
it as a opportunity to learn something about your PC and the processes running. Its invaluable information!

Regards Abydos

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thank you Abydos for telling me about Comodo and all the features, I did a thorough system scan and it found nothing harmful that could cause the skipping...any advice?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the first thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..unckeck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit....

then go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...if its a tower..uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

next get diskeeper lite here

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times faster than the defragger that comes with windows

if you are not networked with other computers like at work...
Open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, click on the View tab and uncheck Automatically search for network folders and printers-and you'll feel the speed again.

Edited by happyrck, 20 June 2008 - 11:33 AM.