Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have issues......

• Please log in to reply

Cudaman

Cudaman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:) You can read my build thread on page 3 :)
......O.K., so yes, I'm having some issues that I need to figure out and since I'm not as educated as I wish I was about computers, I'm just going to list what they are in hopes that someone out there may recognize my situation.
**note** I have not installed Vista Service Pack 1 yet............and with that being said......

When starting from a complete power down I 1)turn on power supply switch. 2)turn on power switch on tower.
Everything loads just fine. I have sound, and graphics.
Then lets say I go to Games and maybe play some chess, or start navigating through some other programs.
The first and most common thing that happens is that the screen will freeze. Sometimes i retain curser movement and sometimes it is locked up as well. On 2 occasions the screen went to black.
Then I will press the reset button wich takes me to the DMI POOL screen.
This screen will indicate : PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable (not sure what cable it means)
PXE-MOF Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
Then it will tell me Boot Failure and to incert Boot Disk and press Enter (I guess this means the motherboard driver CD????)
Other times it will boot alright by itself but come back with no sound. It will say something like "no sound device detected"
It gives me a "Code 10", wich I look up in the motherboard manual......
Code 10 / Autodetect EEPROM / Check flashtype and copy flash write-erase routines

I'm still working on getting internet access, but thats a Verizon issue.
If anyone can offer any insight at all I sure would appreciate it because right now I'm kinda feelin like this :) :) :) :yes: :( :P :) :wacko:
THANKS..........Greg

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

So it's still freezing, eh?

Link to original build. So are these all the exact parts you got?

This is sounding a bit weird...

Are you able to run Memtest86?

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible.

Troy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Numerous searches have returned the following.

PXE-E61 Media test failure....This means the boot sequence did not find a bootable device and is now trying to boot from the LAN.

The following have been the fixes. (not in a particular order).

1. failing/ bad HD Test using the manufacturers utility.
2. BIOS set wrong/ corrupted Reset bios to default.
3. Jumpers on HD and CD drives set wrong.
4. Cables are bad.

Should I assume that the mother board drivers have been installed?

Cudaman

Cudaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the replies. Yes, all drivers are installed and all cables checked out O.K.
I had a friend look at my post and this is what he had to say:

Based on your comments in there, it looks like your motherboard is going bad, having multiple issues at once.

The blank screen but still running is likely the southbridge giving up, and the Code 10 coupled with the PXE (Pre-XP-Environment), and “No sound devices” are failure of the mobo to detect an attached hard drive, and failure to even see the onboard sound card respectively. I hate to say it, but you may need to RMA that motherboard.

I took his advice and RMA'd the motherboard. Shipped it out yesterday morning. Should have the new one sometime next week. Hopefully it will be a simple replacement and everything will fall into place. :)
I'll update after the new MOBO install........
Thanks again,
Greg :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

His diagnosis is possibly correct, so we'll wait and see how your next update goes.

Good luck with it. :)

Troy