Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 Outputs from 1 computer

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex 330 with 4 PCI slots and 1 PCI-E video slot.

I need to have this computer output to 3 different monitors. But I need all 3 monitors to be showing different apps. One monitor is for the workstation so you can use the computer. One is for a PowerPoint presentation, and one is for another app to run. All this needs to be done simulatneously...how can I do this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'd need a video card with 3 outputs (most have two) and then you'd just use the "extended desktop" method to run the different apps on the different monitors

i've got a few video cards on some of my cad systems here that have a VGA output, and HDMI, and an SVIDEO port on the card...i haven't tried to do 3 montiors but if i had one HDMI, one VGA and one SVIDEO capable monitor i'm pretty sure i'd be able to do 3.....

then with the extended desktop on you just open a program and drag it over to the monitor you're wanting it displayed on.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Seems too easy :)

Do you have any recomendations on a video card that will work? I sometimes have issues with Dell.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i did a google search for 3 output video card and got some hits...never specifically used any of the products from the results..

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
As another thought comes and goes...what about putting in a PCI and PCIe card both with 2 outputs, or will that freak the computer out?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't claim to be a hardware geek...but it's possible that if you've got an SLI motherboard that you could do that.....i've never had much success with having more than one PCI card in a system and have them both active...granted i haven't tried it that often....it's possible....

got a spare card lying around?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No not really. I was hoping to see if it works, but if the make 3 output cards, Im good with that.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Matrox makes devices specifically for that perpose but they are not cheep.... you might want to look into that.... Oh and it is POSSIBLE to have two video cards but some don't work well together... I have never done this myself but I know someone who has..... I think he had best luck using two ati cards together... And from my understanding of SLI you would NOT need to have or use that... that is more to boost the power of your graphics adapter than to give you more outputs.... (I could be wrong on sli.... not a gamer so never even looked into it..)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And from my understanding of SLI you would NOT need to have or use that... that is more to boost the power of your graphics adapter than to give you more outputs.... (I could be wrong on sli.... not a gamer so never even looked into it..)

agreed....my understanding of SLI is that it basically clusters the cards...but i don't know enough about it to know if it would also let you use the outputs on the second card...

SLI systems are just the only ones i know of that are designed to have multiple cards on em...

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah I've heard it done without SLI but like you I know little to nothing about sli....never needed to know much about it....