Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fix Win XP via another hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Shoggoths

Shoggoths

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,
I have this problem: after an infection, AVG has put some system files in quarantine and my PC won't boot anymore (safe mode don’t work either). I’ve tried a restoration via the consol and that has not worked. I’ve also tried to fix it with the reparation option via my Windows XP Pro (FR) but the only option offered to me is not reparation (fix) but reinstallation. I don’t want to reinstall all my applications on my SATA2 hard drive if there is another option.

So, I’ve put an old IDE hard drive on my PC and installed Win XP Pro (FR) on it and made a back up of my important files of my old C: (the one that crash, SATA2).

My question is: Can I copy the system files of my IDE on the SATA2 in hope of fixing the system files. If yes, what are the files that I must copy and how do I do all this. Also, I see a repair folder on my SATA2, can I also use the files in this folder for something ?

Thanks

Sorry if an answer already exist, I'v tried to search the site but probably that the word I usr are not good enough.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you try to boot with the SATA. Please write exactly what message you get (if any). I understand that you can run Recovery Console with your XP cd. Am I right?

Shoggoths

Shoggoths

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Skeptic, thank you for your attention.

Last nigth I've worked hard on my system and I think I've fixed everything.

First, the message when I was booting the SATA was : "STOP: c000021a {Erreur system irrécupérable} Le processus systeme windows Logon Process s'est terminé de façon inattendue avec l'état 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000). Le système a été arreté". I've got SP2 french.

So with the IDE I've copy the following files back on the SATA : Isass.exe, service.exe, resyncini.exe, explorer.exe.

When I'va booted again with the SATA the following message appeared : \windows\system32\config\system corrupted or missing.

So with the IDE, I've rename the system.bak to system and reboot the SATA. At first all I've got was my wallpaper, no desktop but after a second reboot my desktop was back.

Then, I've restart with my XP pro CD (and without the IDE) and magically, it offert me to repair Windows, what I've done. It was late so I've not tested if everything is alright, do you know how can I do that ? Or do I just use my PC with cross fingers in the hope that everything will be alright ? What do you think about what I've done, does it seems OK ?

Thanks

Shogg

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Well done! My congratulations. There is not much that you can do except for running the computer and hope for the best. If it fails again and you need some help, please let us know.