Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

oevbatya.dll was told its malware? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Hi Kera

congratulations, your logs are clean and another fix is in the can :)

in this post we will clear away the fix tools (this is so that should you ever be re-infected, you will download updated versions and it will also remove the quarantined Malware from your computer), reset your restore points (there will be infections lurking in there) and i will leave you with some ideas on how to enhance the protection of your machine against future infection.

if, after doing the steps below your machine is running too slow, let me know.

====STEP 1====
Clearing away the fix tools:

Please download the OTCleanIt by OldTimer.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Please double-click OTCleanIT.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTMoveit2.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
you can also clear away any other tools we used.

====STEP 2====
To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

Instructions with screenshots to help is http://www.f-secure..../sfc_dis1.shtml

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

====IDEAS TO SPEED UP YOUR MACHINE====
this page http://users.telenet...owcomputer.html gives some good ideas on how to improve the efficiency of your machine and has one or two useful links to help your further.

====AND FINALLY====
The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • Spybot Search & Destroy - Uber powerful tool which can search and annhilate nasties that make it onto your system. Now with an Immunize section that will help prevent future infections.
  • AdAware - Another very powerful tool which searches and kills nasties that infect your system. AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy compliment each other very well.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • Windows Updates - It is very important to make sure that both Internet Explorer and Windows are kept current with the latest critical security patches from Microsoft. To do this just start Internet Explorer and select Tools > Windows Update, and follow the online instructions from there.
  • Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
  • Trillian or Miranda-IM - These are Malware free Instant Messenger programs which allow you to connect to multiple IM services in one program! (AOL, Yahoo, ICQ, IRC, MSN)
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein

andrewuk

Advertisements

kera

kera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thank you for all your help, my computer is a bit slow but im going to defragment it and clean out unwanted files/programs. with that in mind i will also download some of the programs you have listed to hopefully make my life a little easier in the future. but i was also wondering something - as far as free antivirus programs go what would you recommend? i currently have the free version of AVG but i saw this http://www.free-av.com/ and was wondering if maybe that would be better or worse? again thanks for all your help, i couldn't have done it without you :)

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
AVG is just fine, in my mind no better or no worse than avira. the main thing is to have one, and only one, antivirus program on your machine, make sure it is updated regularly and run a complete scan of your machine on a weekly basis.

personally, i update and run all my security programs (antivirus, antispyware, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy) on a weekly basis. takes about 3 hours ....... so running them whilst i clean my apartment on a sunday is my method :)

andrewuk

kera

kera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey thanks :) i really appreciate it :) all the malware seems to be gone and my computer is going a bit faster, now i need to go in another forum and find out how to make my computer stop crashing to a blue screen while watching videos or listening to music. thanks for all your help i couldnt have done it without you!!!

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
In this forum, try the Windows XP™, 2000, 2003, NT forum in the Operating Systems section to solve your crashing issues.

andrewuk

kera

kera

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey, thanks okay i will :)

andrewuk

andrewuk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,297 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.