Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system - 1st build

• Please log in to reply

WeaponX23

WeaponX23

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm basically building a computer for gaming... Here's what I've picked out so far:

Motherboard - DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD - Model #:790FX-M2RS

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Model #:ADX6000CZBOX

Video Card - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported - Model #:512-P3-N801-AR

Power Supply - Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO 630W ATX12V - Model #:LPG2-43-P4-IO

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s - OEM - Model #:WD1600AAJS

DVD-ROM Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive - OEM - Model #:DDU1615/B2s

Ram - Kingston 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR667D2N5K2/2G

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Model #:CAC-T05-UW

OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM - Model #:66I-01939

Total cost about $740 on newegg

Am I missing anything? Is everything compatible? Is the Vista product I picked out the full version or do I need additional software? Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated, although I would like to keep the cost below $800. Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Spend a little bit extra and get a better power supply. The one you propose i would not even think of using. It looks like its is noisy and is so cheap it would fail very soon. Heres my choice.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371015

If you are going to run a high power video card you should have it on its own 12 volt line. That means you should have at least 2 12 volt lines on the PS.

I myself am now using the Enermax liberty series PS's because i then don't have to have a mess of wiring in the case.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194004

I also like the Pioneer DVD-RW's simply because they are quieter than most of the others and seems to be the best priced . I would rather have a DVD-RW than a plain DVD-rom drive. Remember that backups can save you from trying to find all the data you have downloaded over the years. A DVD disk holds around 4.3 gigs of data and only costs about 20¢ per disk.

SRX660

WeaponX23

WeaponX23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I switched out the cheap PS for the one you suggested. Anyone else have some suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I suggest what SRX660 has mentioned - grab a different optical drive. I personally have a Pioneer (as mentioned above), it's great quality and was cheap.

Make sure you choose one that has a SATA interface.

Also, for your RAM, try and grab a 2x 2GB kit, less to deal with - on your part and on the motherboard's part.

Cheers

Troy