Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rate This System

• Please log in to reply

andro1d

andro1d

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new desktop PC, something around the $800 price range (and an extra $200 or so for the monitor). I found this: http://pacstarcomput...?productID=4723

Could you please tell me if that system is worth buying, is it worth its price and could I get better for $1000? It comes with a monitor/keyboard/mouse aswell which I'll need :).

* CPU: Intel E2160 -Now free upgrade to E2180
* Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL mainboard
* Memory: Kingmax 1G DDRII 800 - Now Free upgrade to 2G DDRII 800
* Graphics Card: NVIDIA 8500GT 512MB DDRII PCI EXPRESS (+$50 Upgrade to 512MB 8600GT)
* Hard Drive: Samsung SATAII 400G HDD 7200RPM 16MB - Now Free Upgrade to 500G SATA II HDD
* Dvd Burner: 20x Dual Layer DVD Burner
* Network: Build on board Broadband Ready
* Keyboard & Mouse: Standard PSII or USB keyboard and optical mouse
* Monitor: 19" Viewsonic Wide Screen LCD - Now Free Upgrade to 19" ASUS 5ms DVI Spks Tilt LCD Widescreen
* Operating System: Windows XP HOME (Customer can choose to free upgrade to Vista Home Premium)
* Parts: Internal card reader, can read 35 different memory cards

That's the specs.

Thanks a lot for your time guys! Appreciated.

EDIT: Oh and apparently it comes overclocked to 3Ghz or something, just thought I'd let you know :).

Edited by andro1d, 19 June 2008 - 09:15 PM.

Advertisements

andro1d

andro1d

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I would build it myself but I have no clue as to parts compatibility, anyways yeah.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Lets see what this would cost on NewEgg.

CPU E2180 $70 US
Asus MB $75
DDR-800 $60
EVGA 8500 GT video card $60
Samsung 500 G HD $90
Philips 20X DVD-RW $24
Microsoft wireless KB & Mouse $40
Viewsonic 19 WS $190
Windows XP OEM $85
Multi card reader $10
Antec 300 case $70

AU dollar to US dollar conversion = $810.94

But then you would have to build the computer yourself.
So they are charging you $140 to build the computer, and they have to guarantee the computer works.

My 2¢ is its not a bad deal, just not a great deal.

SRX660

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

If you'd like to build one yourself we could help you with a compatible list and some steps for building it!

I don't know where you're from, but there are a few good retailers around the great land of Oz for purchasing parts.

If you would like a good system for $1000, I strongly suggest you build your own. You'll get a better deal overall...

Here's my take for the price. It's a good system for home use, office programs, internet surfing, and not very good gaming performance (but I should think a fair bit better than that Pacstar one you linked to). Prices were taken from Umart.com.au, so depending on where you live, you may have to pay for postage or shop closer.

[attachment=21634:OZ__1000_Build.jpg]

Cheers

Troy