Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help to load and run IBM PC CAM

• Please log in to reply

sylamore

sylamore

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hello! I can't get an IBM PC Cam to work with my comp. I run Windows 98 on an older Compaq 5242 and am on DSL. This cam worked perfectly fine until after I did a restore on my comp because of bugs..... I have reinstalled the software and the cam. They both show up but when I try to open the camera I get a box that says "No such interface supported". I have searched for new drivers on the net to no avail. I REALLY need this cam. PLEASE HELP!!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
More info on this problem.....I took the camera and software disc over to my parent's comp and loaded it and it worked just fine. They run Windows XP. So why won't it reload to my comp???? :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like a USB issue to me. Check in device manager that the USB controller is installed.

When you first connected the camera after doing the reinstall of windows, did windows detect the camera being plugged in?

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Hi Samm and thanks for the reply. Yes, the cam was detected when I plugged it in and the software was installed again before I tried plugging the camera in. It appeared as tho all was going to work just fine. I looked in the device manager and there was a listing of Universal Serial Bus Controller and under that was 2 sub-items. They were USB Root Hub and VIA VT83C572/VT82C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller. I checked the properties on both of these entries and they were both working properly and showed no conflicts. I went ahead and clicked the update drivers box and it showed the best drivers were already installed for them so I said to continue using current drivers. Now, back to square 1 and no clue what to check next.....HELP :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Via USB controllers are notoriously patchy & unfortunately, so is Windows 98's USB support.

I assume the camera doesn't have its own power supply. If this is a power issue, the only way round it is probably to get a self-powered usb hub & connect the camera to that.

To try & figure out exactly what the problem is though, can you tell me :

1. Do you have any other USB devices connected?

2. Is your system overclocked or is the bios set to optimal/high performance settings? (I realise this may not be possible on your system as compaqs tend to have restricted bios settings)

3. Can you tell me what IRQ the usb is using & what else shares that IRQ?

4. Reboot into safe mode. Open device manager & search for any duplicate devices or devices which have since been removed from the system. (Only safe mode will make these visible). Let me know what the duplicated/removed devices are, if any.

sylamore

sylamore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
Sorry to be so late in getting back on here. My problem is now solved. I bought a new comp.......and the cam loaded just fine on this one. Anyway, thank you so very much for the help!!!! :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Good, glad it's all working