Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant connect to internet on main PC

• Please log in to reply

Normski123

Normski123

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, last night I reinstalled windows and SP2. (My comp was not hitting on). Im on my sisters PC at the moment and I was wondering if anyone can help me connect the main PC back to the internet. I have no idea how to do it. Just ask me for any of the information you need. This is the first time I've did something like this so im not really sure what to post. I'm on this PC via wireless from the main PC. My Xbox 360 and PS3 and this PC can all connect to the internet apart from my main PC. :)
Can anyone please help me connect again?
Thanks.
(Just ask for anything you need. I'll tell you anything you need to know. I really have no idea what to do, sorry.)
:)
(Sorry for the brief explanation.)

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi and welcome to the site!

Well since you wiped your drive, you don't have your drivers installed anymore. You should reinstall your Network Adapter drivers. You should have a CD for that. If you don't you can download one from the Internet. Just Google for the Network Adapter driver for your network card.

You can also go to device manager. Right Click on My Computer and click Properties. Go to the Hardware Tab and click on Device Manager. Click on the + sign beside network adapters and you can see your network card there. You can right click and install from there. It should ask you to search the Internet and install a driver from there.

Hope that helps. :)

Normski123

Normski123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. Umm, I found my that devices manager tab, i click the plus and there are 3 things on there:
1.1394 Net Adapter
2.Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) and
3.Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

I remember installing my modem a while back, but I cant seem to find the installation CD :'(.
Any idea what I can do? What could I search for on google? Sorry, im not very good at these things.
Thanks.

Edited by Normski123, 20 June 2008 - 05:25 AM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Uhmm, you only listed one thing.

Anyway, it's not the 1394 Adapter that you need to fix.

Do they have ? marks or X's on them?

Edit:

OK so there are three now.

A Bluetooth device? Two of them?
I was expecting something like a LAN Network Adapter.

When your Internet was working before for your MainPC, how do you connect?

Edited by ditrackster, 20 June 2008 - 05:29 AM.

Normski123

Normski123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I pressed tab and something happened :s I edited it :)
They dont have either on there.
Oh, and the router I have is a Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router. :)

Edited by Normski123, 20 June 2008 - 05:29 AM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
So, when your main PC was still OK, you connect to the Internet via wireless using that Belkin router?
I was expecting you'd have a wireless network card. But looks like you have a bluetooth device. Since it's listed under the network adapters, then I guess it's OK.

Is your Bluetooth device installed already?

I tried to Google "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)". Try it and you may find what you need there. I haven't tried using a bluetooth device to connect wireless to the Internet.

Normski123

Normski123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I havent installed my bluetooth device yet. I just went on belkin's website and managed to download some drivers. I copyed the installation (which I just downloaded) to my pen drive, I put the files on my PC, i was going through it and then it said I had to restart the computer. I did, and when it came back on it said: Windows cannot find 'setup.exe' and it says it is in the temp files folder. I think thats the installation which I need, and its being cancelled.

I think I'll just have to either find the CD or find a drivers website for my router, that actually works..
And yep, I could connect fine to the internet when the PC was working.

When the PC was working fine, it automatically connected, as soon as I hit the PC on and logged on, I could go on there.

Edited by Normski123, 20 June 2008 - 06:16 AM.