Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen black, but computer is on.

• Please log in to reply

Linkdk

Linkdk

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey all!

What are the typical reasons reasons for that the computer is on but the screen is black ? It doesn't say "no input", it just stays like if you're computer was off.

Its an old comp i was going to to install a Linux OS to play a little with it.

Advertisements

ShortGirl2

ShortGirl2

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I would say it could be a couple of things: Make sure that your monitor is completely plugged in. Check your graphics card to make sure that it is seated in the slot all the way. While you're in the case checking the graphics card, check to make sure it's not all dusty- if so, blow it off with some air. Do you know for a fact that the monitor works? :)

Linkdk

Linkdk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes, i am using the monitor now for my real computer :)

Well, i just checked and the gfx is fully clean and i would break the board if i pressed it longer down ^^

Linkdk

Linkdk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
bump.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of three things now.

1. Dead graphics card, try any card that fits you can find just to see if you get any screen.

2. Bad cable.

3. Bad PCI slot on the motherboard, unfortunately after trying a different slot the only choice here is replacement.

You do not need to bump topics here. Usually someone answers within a day or two.

SRX660

Linkdk

Linkdk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

You do not need to bump topics here. Usually someone answers within a day or two.

Linkdk , Jun 20 2008, 08:59 PM
Linkdk Posted Today, 02:15 PM

Yes i see.

Well the only "known" working gfx card is the one i got in my real computer, but would it work anyway, if i'd put a 7950GT into a very old motherboard ?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
By very old, i must still assume that the computer has a 8x AGP slot, as you are saying it will fit the slot. If the computer had a different Nvidia card in it you may have a problem of of the computer going into a continious reboot bercause of wrong drivers for the video card( been there done that). If you were running onboard it may work if the computer auto-diverts the graphics to the video card. Some computer do and some don't. If it don't then you are still stuck because you can't see what your doing.

I reread the first post and it sound like the compute had standby in both the BIOS and Windows turned on. What happens when you hit the F8 key while the computer is booting up? can you get into SAFE mode and see if you can disable the power management? Still can't see nothing? try hitting the delete key while the computer is booting and see if the BIOS will come up. If possible then disable the power management there and use the windows one, that is if windows will come up.

Is this a older computer that your just messing with? You don't sound too concerned about it.

Sorry about the bump answer, i usually do not look at the dates.

SRX660