Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CSS Help with 3 main browsers

• Please log in to reply

aowens

aowens

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm rather new to CSS and so I'm teaching myself how to do it by tutorials and forums (I learned HTML in high school and Flash in college). There is one thing I'm having trouble with.

http://www.alexandra...csswebsite.html

The website I've been building for my dance team looks fine in Safari, looks almost fine in IE, but in Firefox it doesn't recognize the CSS. Can someone look at my page and tell me what I need to add in order to get it to recognize the CSS? I've been looking all over, but since I'm so new, it's a little overwhelming.

Ignore the links not working, I haven't transferred everything to the real domain so I'm just using my own for the time being. Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Dump the part under the doc type. Not allowed there:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
 <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie6.css" />
<![endif]-->

You document type is incorrect. Should be:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR...ml4/loose.dtd">

I recommend a minimum of a strict doc type unless you don't know how to code to it.

You have several HTML errors.

Use Firefox to check all your pages. IE, Safari and all the other browsers come no where near being CSS2 compliant. Firefox does.

Ron

aowens

aowens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Great! Thank you! It's validated now, but I guess the problem was with the CSS file. The order of scripts were out of order since everything is layered. I do have another problem now, which I haven't figured out.

http://www.alexandra...bali/index.html

The banner at the top is supposed to have a black border. Again, it works in Safari but it's not showing up in IE or Firefox (I know I shouldn't be testing in Safari but if it works there, then it's a step in the right direction). Does anybody see a quick/simple fix to this? Again, I think it's a problem with the CSS. After that, it should work!

To see the final project (once all these kinks are worked out and I upload everything to the new domain) you can go to www.carabalidance.com.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You have to set a border size properly. You have:

#header {border: solid #black;
	background: #996600 url(banner2.jpg);
	height: 91px;
	border-top-width:  3px;
	border-bottom-width:   3px;
	border-left-width:   3px;
	border-right-width:   3px; }

Proper coding and using the shorthand method:

#header {
width: 800px;
height: 91px;
margin: 0 auto;
background: #960 url(banner2.jpg) no-repeat center scroll;
border:  3px solid #000;
}

I also recommend adding the Universal Selector at the VERY TOP of all your CSS files: * { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; }

This sets/clears everything to zero so only your styling is used.

Correct these errors:

CSS

Ron.

Edited by Major Payne, 01 July 2008 - 02:19 PM.

aowens

aowens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You're the best, thanks! That did the trick.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

Ron