Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC Case

• Please log in to reply

lynxafc

lynxafc

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have just replaced my old PC tower with a new case, installed all the parts (I haven't updated any piece of hardware, it's the same from my old case) but for some reason when I start up the pc it doesn't find my sata drive which means it can't find windows...

any help would be greatful, i've opened up my computer and made sure my drive is in the primary sata port so now i'm out of ideas all i've done is move all the hardware out of one case and put it into another.

Lynxafc

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Taking a computer apart and putting it back together can always cause strange things happening. My first thought here is to replace the SATA data cable to see if that is the problem. If the BIOS cannot see the drive then windows won't see it either. Hit the Delete key while the computer is booting( most computers use the delete key, yours may not) and get into the BIOS and see if you can see the Sata drive there. If so then it is a windows problem, so a repair install may be in order. I can't say that has ever happened to me. I did have a problem with a BTX computer i was building, in that i could not get Windows to install. It was a bad SATA cable and replacing it fixed the problem.

SRX660

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
right well, i have gone into the bios and all it finds is the cd rom drive. I even tried re-installing windows (as you can see I have had no more ideas) it just don't seem to find my sata drive all of a sudden. I'll buya new data cable and see if thats the problem. but i'm pretty sure that it isn't :)

if you have anymore ideas, any at all please reply.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
unplug the power cable and data cable (both ends) from the drive...replug them in

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
you know what, i haven't actually tried that, i'm gonna do it right now... gimme 5 minutes!

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok, i tried it and sadly it didn't help, it was a good idea, I also changed the data cables with no luck. it just doesn't find the sata drives, I turn it on and starts up fine, finds my cd rom drive then the screen goes black and says 'insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key' then i can't get past it. :)

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I went out and bought new data cables to see if that was the problem but nope it still doesn't see my sata drive in the bios, wow this is fustrating.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
only thing left to try now is to remove the mobo from the case..
put it on some cardboard...plug in ONLY monitor... keyboard....mouse...and hard drive...
if it boots up it is a short somewhere on the mobo...like a standoff if the wrong spot
if that doesn't work ...I'm out of ideas...

Edited by happyrck, 21 June 2008 - 10:40 AM.

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok i'll give this a go on monday as my weekend is when i work.

if it boots up it is a short somewhere on the mobo...like a standoff if the wrong spot

a standoff?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
http://www.hls-syste...2L/DSCN3329.JPG

http://images.google...htt...l=en&sa=N

Happyrck is just saying it may be a standoff that is grounding the motherboard so it does not see the sata hard drive. Most cases have a bag of screws, etc that also has some paper washers used to insulate the motherboard from the standoff's. The other choice here is that the sata drive has died. It might be a good idea to check the drive in another system.

SRX660

lynxafc

lynxafc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh ok, thanks for your help. I'll give these a try monday.

thanks for all your ideas.