Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

feeagle

feeagle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know much about computers, or at least how to fix this problem. So i have my computer connected to the internet via a Lan cable plug straight into the router. when my power went out earlier i turned my computer on to find, i couldn't connect to the internet. when i looked at my lan connection it said i had limited or no connectivity, sense then iv tried all the basic things to get to start working again such as restarting my computer, repairing my connection, disabling, and enabling my Lan connection, none of which had an effect. also all the computers in my house connected wirelesses, are working find. dose anyone have any ideas to what i should do?

Edited by feeagle, 20 June 2008 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hello feeagle,

The wireless working says that the dhcp is working (at least for wireless devices). Limited or no connectivity means the PC is not able to get an address from the router.

First step is to disable any firewall you have on the PC. If that lets you surf then you need to adjust the firewall settings.
Next reset the TCP/IP stack. Go to Start/ run and type "cmd" (no quptes). Click OK or press Enter. In the Command Prompt type "netsh int ip reset reset.log" and press enter. Then type "netsh winsock reset". you should get a prompt that says the winsock catalog has been reset. you must restart the computer for the changes to take affect. Reboot.

feeagle

feeagle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
iv put down all my firewalls, and rest my winsock catalog, but i still cant get a connection.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Lets try to renew your connection to the gateway.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

After that I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

xxdanielxx

xxdanielxx

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
there can be a couple things wrong

1. You need to reset the DNS as advice above.

2. Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) can be corrupted or damaged.

content removed. you're correct, it shouldn't have been posted. The reg scripts you posted won't even work. It's not necessary to use a registry script on this problem. NEVER give a registry script on the forums without proper backup advice, and knowing for a fact it is needed.

Edited by Kat, 26 June 2008 - 12:48 AM.

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I thought I'd add in my tuppence worth to this thread, as I came across a similar problem on a friends internet connectivity.

Provided that the advice by Artellos does not work, then I would suggest taking a look at the router settings - in the case of my friend, the power had gone out and when it came back on it had managed to reset the router settings.

His problem was that the values in the username and password fields used to connect to the internet had been deleted.

JangoFett

JangoFett

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ive had this happen with my wireless box before. I just simply shut down my system, go to my wireless box and reboot/reset it with the reset button in the back (the other option would be to unplug it for a minute and plug it in) and let it reset itself. Turn on your system and see what happens. :)