Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro - windows explorer crashing

• Please log in to reply

caseysoo

caseysoo

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello:

Lately it seems when I try to look/open graphic files on my computer windows explorer will close down stating it has encountered an error.
This will also happen when I am in another program such as photoshop 7 and I want to open up a graphic file through the program, it will sometimes cause the program to close.

I think this started happening after I updated my windows to the service package 3.

Edited by Rorschach112, 20 June 2008 - 04:56 PM.
DONT post logs here

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi caseysoo,

Use System Restore on the date before u downloaded service package 3.

Regards,

caseysoo

caseysoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Unfortunately I can't remember the date I put the service package on. Is there anything else that will correct the problem?

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Try one mont ago.

Regards,

caseysoo

caseysoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Will a system restore delate any current files I have saved after that date, because I don't remember creating a restore point?

Also I just got a new error message about DrWatson Postmortem Debugger showing when I tried to look at graphic files. This time it popped up after I got the windows explorer message about it closing.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
When you use System Restore, you can revert to a saved state without losing personal data including Word documents, e-mail settings and messages, and your Internet favorites list. System Restore won't lose any data you have stored in the My Documents, My Pictures, or My Music folders either.

Regards,