Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with USB Resources

• Please log in to reply

frscon

frscon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I brought a computer from work that they were throwing out. It worked fine but the boss didn't want to bother with it. It is faster than my old computer. I am running win XP HE ver 2002, service pack 2.
It is an intel pent. 4 cpu 1.80 ghz, 1.79 ghz 480 mb ram with a 512 chip. The USB's don't work.They where ok when they were at the office. An error message comes up in device manager when I click on them. There is not enough resources available.(CODE 12). It says to disable one of the other devices on the system. It is linked to IRQ 9. The only other thing on IRQ 9 is SIS 650 651 m650 m652 740. I am afraid to disable this as it may be the new driver that I downloaded for my display.
I tried several things already. I tried updating the drivers. It didn't work. I tried uninstalling the USB. They would not re-install through windows, nor could I find them when I tried to re-install manually. I check the bios during boot up and everything seems to be there. The only way to re-install them is to re-boot in safe mode "the last working configuration", but they still won't work.
The designation now is Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller. It originally was SIS 7001 PCI to USB OPEN HOST CONTROLLER. I was told that changing them may help resolve the problem. Now, I am not sure what to do. I only hooked this one up three days ago. I slaved it's 60 gig HD to my 40 gig HD from my old PC. I had to update the video driver at SIS web-site to increase the resolution on the display. The mouse was a USB Mouse, but is now connected to the mouse port because the USB won't work. Any advise, except shooting the blame thing, will be very helpful.
H E L P ! ! ! !

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might read this on the subject.

http://kadaitcha.cx/irq_conflicts.html

And then theres microsoft's answer.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=314068

You can also change from ACPI to Standard PC in you device manager.
1: press Windowskey + Pausebreak to enter system properties.
2: Open 'hardware' tab.
3: Click 'Device manager'
4: Click on the + symbol in front of 'computer'
5: Double-click 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC'
6: Open 'driver' tab
7: Select 'update driver'
8: Select 'Install from a specified location'
9: Select 'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install'
10: Select 'Standard PC' (maybe you need to de-select the 'Show compatible hardware' box)
11: Click next and follow instructions.
After reboot, WinXP will re-detect all devices and re-map all IRQ's. But be aware ... you can not 'roll-back' this driver to ACPI. After you've installed the standerd PC driver you machine also won't shut-down automatically anymore when you quit Windows. You will need to power off manually when it says 'It's now safe to turn of your computer'. Good luck, Frank.

the above from
http://www.annoyance...nxp/t1005114699

SRX660

frscon

frscon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried all the fixes. My computer was already on PC setting. I pulled the two cards that are installed and rebooted. I tried several other fixes from other sources. My only other solution is to break down and buy a new computer, hook my printer to that one and network the two. I guess I could buy a new printer wire and plug it into the port on the motherboard.
Thanks for all your help anyway. There must be something in the motherboard itself causing the conflict, maybe that's why they tossed it.
Regards:::
Frank