Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running REEEALLLYY SLOOOWWW

• Please log in to reply

ibassplayer205

ibassplayer205

• Pip
  • 8 posts
First of all, let me apologize. There have probably been hundreds of others that have the same problem as I do.
Anyway.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 2.6GHz, 256 RAM running Windows XP Home Edition. Just recently It has been acting up. It runs really slowly. Sometimes it even shuts itself off! I have no idea what could cause this.
If Im running iTunes and trying to surf the web, the song will skip. When I type in forums (like I am now), the text lags and I can finish typing a sentence before it appears on the screen. If I try to launch a program, it takes forever to start up. When I first got my laptop, everything was fine. This just started this a few weeks ago. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

javiergil

javiergil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
i Had a problem taht turned my computer it self, it was infected with
blaster worm- removal tools
http://securityrespo...tools.list.html

but it wasnt runing slow
try downloading windows antispyware - http://www.microsoft...?displaylang=en

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hi.
Maybe Ad-aware Expert's can help you out.
Read Logfile Posting Instructions
follow instructions and post the log.

- Rawe :tazz:

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
My experience with "skipping mp3's" turned out to be related to the Anti-virus I had installed. The AV engine had done an auto update and some problems were created by the new engine. If you have an anti-virus installed, try to disable it for testing purposes (remember to turn it back on or you could have much bigger problems on your hands ;-)
If the skipping is cause by the AV, and the slowness is related to the skipping, the AV may be the cause of your issues. Also, it's never a bad idea to run SpyBot, MS Anti-Spyware and/or Ad Aware and search for any malware on your laptop. Also, check the free space on your hard drive. Probably no where near full, but sometimes we overlook the obvious. Good luck.

Gophergutz

Gophergutz

Trusted Tech

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Also, there's a program called "Clean-Up" that you can download that will remove temp files and cookies and such. Not a bad idea to run that. Here's a link to some various tools, including Clean-up, that may help you out..

Tools to use