Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New comp. what do u think?

• Please log in to reply

Vitto

Vitto

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well this is my first attempt on building a computer, what do u guys think?;

Power Supply: Ultra X-Pro ULT40029 750 WATT
Case: Antec nine hundred steel ATX Mid tower
Motherboard: Asus maximus extreme
CPU: Intel core 2 duo Q6600
Video card: Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 512MB
CDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB
RAM: Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1067 DDR3 (4gb kit, x2 2gb)
DVD reader: Plextor PX-810SA/IBP-BL DVD Super Multi Drive

Well not quite sure on the DVD reader, video card and RAM (very expensive).
The power supply not quite sure too and I dont really know if to buy a water cooling system or just buy something cheaper like the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler.

Is it a good combo? please give me lots of answer Thx :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think ultra power supplys are cheap. Better to get a Enermax 620 like this one. Unless you are going to upgrade quite a bit you really don't even need 600 watts of power.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194005

Or maybe a PC Power and Cooling unit.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194005

Do not buy a cheap PS as it could mean you will need to buy a new computer as well when the PS fails. The video card is really just your preference. Both Nvidia and ATI have good cards. The RAM your buying means you will be installing the 64 bit Vista OS as the 32 bit vista can only see around 3.2 gigs of memory. I prefer the Phillips DVD-RW's as they are quieter than the others and usually at a better price. Pioneer is good also but a little bit noisier. By the way a Q6600 is a quad core PCU. Thats what i'm running in this computer. I am disappointed that i can only see that 1 core is being used in games. Right now there is no reason to buy a quad core over a dual core as i don't see any speed increases at all. Better for you to get a E8500 wolfdale 3.16 1333 bus cpu. Maybe next year they will have games and programs that take advantage of the quad cores. So far i don't see any.

SRX660

Vitto

Vitto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thx ill take that onboard:

here

Power Supply: Ultra X-Pro ULT40029 750 WATT---->Corsair 750Watt PSU or 620W, not quite sure which type too any recommendations?

Case: Antec nine hundred steel ATX Mid tower---->CoolerMaster 690 Case (ive recently heard its a dust magnet, what do u think?)

Motherboard: Asus maximus extreme---->Asus P5Q Deluxe P45 not quite sure which ones fits better

CPU: Intel core 2 duo Q6600---->Intel Q945 or E8500 wolfdale 3.16 1333 bus cpu (if u r really sure E8500 is better ill go for it :) )

Video card: Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 512MB----> ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 this one is more upgraded

CDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB----> Western Digital 640Gb SATAII HD, maybe?

RAM: Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1067 DDR3 (4gb kit, x2 2gb)----> Mushkin 2x2Gb PC 8500 DDR2 memory (ive been advised with this one but not sure, its cheaper, what do u think?)

DVD reader: Plextor PX-810SA/IBP-BL DVD Super Multi Drive----> Dont know, might go for pioneer as u said.

Cooler----> Thermalright 120 + Scythe 120mm fan-----is it good? (cant open ure page)

Oh yeah OS going for vist 64 bit

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Vitto,

Do you have any experience in overclocking? If so then I suggest just buying an Intel E8400 and overclock it to the same speed of E8500. Also E8400 is $60 cheaper than E8500. Even if you don't overclock the E8400, its still a good processor. e8400 runs at 3.00GHz while e8500 runs at 3.16GHz, marginal difference, if you think that 160MHz is worth $60 then go for it.

For the Powersupply, if you're only using one card, I suggest going with the 620 watt, that one is modular and that means better cable management. You'll be able to just use the cables you need and not have unused cables dangling inside your case. However if you're thinking of using 2 x 4850 (in crossfire), the Corsair 750 watts would be better.

For the computer case, its personal preference, the 690 has that space behind the mobo for cable management but the 900 has the side window. I'm not sure about dust though.

I'd choose Mushkin over Crucial any day as it seems like there's been quite a few defective Crucial RAMs (especially the Ballistix) and compatibility problems.

Pioneer or Samsung for me for DVD-drives.

For the harddrive, either one is good.

Great choice on the graphics card, I have heard that it performs very well and I believe its cheaper than the 3870.

Kamille

Vitto

Vitto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, thank u, i think ill go for the E8400, its much cheaper and just has 0.16ghz less :)
the power supply will be fine i think, i wont crossfire it :) and if i will it will be a problem that will be solved in the future.
the dvd drive, yes i will go for a Pioneer.

Thx to all