Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Vista HP on New Build

• Please log in to reply

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
First I wanted to say thank you to this site and especially Troy for all the help and recommendations.

I finally got my PC together and working and worked my way though the bios, partition and vista installation I think. Only problem so far is my wireless adapter will not work. I assume vista compatibility. Will buy a new one tomorrow.

My question is about installing a second drive. It has XP on it. Will this be a problem? I have not hooked up any wires to yet. I assumed I should partition, format and install vista on my master drive before messing around with that as a slave.

Edited by Intruder_1400, 20 June 2008 - 10:30 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, have vista on your computer before hooking up the XP drive. If you do that Vista will ignore the XP installation so it will not boot. You could then wipe the drive and reformat it as a second drive in the computer. You could also transfer data from the XP drive to the vista drive. You may have to take ownership of some files and folders to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

You can take ownership of a folder in XP using the steps that are listed below.

1. Log on with an administrator account.
2. Open Windows Explorer.
3. Open the Properties window for the object and select the Security tab.
4. Click the Advanced button.
5. Click the Owner tab. The current owner of the resource will be listed.
6. From the list, select the user you want to assign ownership to.
7. Click OK.
8. Click OK to save your changes.

For Vista if you need it
http://www.mydigital...-menu-in-vista/

I would not suggest trying to load a bootloader so you can dual boot the 2 OS's. The XP system was probably installed on a completely different MB and that would cause all kinds of problems getting it to bootup.

SRX660

Intruder_1400

Intruder_1400

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I installed both HD's with SATA cables and I can access files from the XP drive. I just can not run any programs off the hard drive.

I will most likely follow your suggestion. Move important files then reformat for extra space.

Edited by Intruder_1400, 21 June 2008 - 08:26 AM.