Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes please help

• Please log in to reply

mcstorm

mcstorm

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I just built my system 3 weeks ago. e8400 3ghz, 4gb of ddr2 1066 mhz, 8800 gts over clocked edition by msi, 550 watt power supply.

Been playing age of conan great for all this time. Last night the computer froze with a sound loop couldnt task manager close program or anything mouse stuck in position ect. SO i restarted it. the problem became frequent sooner and sooner. So i reinstalled windows and it kept getting stuck right before it was done installing. Then i went into bios noticed the processor was sitting at 40 degrees cellcius. for a e8400 in bios not overclocked ect. seemed high becuase ive heard they sit at 25-30 degrees celcius. i had a huge aftermarket fan on there too. i poped in the stock one that never had been used. seemed a few degrees cooler with that. then i put a huge fan with the case open pointed at the motherboard to make sure it was not heat. Tempature was in the low 30's. Got thru the install and it froze again at create a username. at least i didnt have to go thru the install again. poped it up and created it. I also took one of my 2 gig sticks out just to see if it was memory related. I got age of conan installed vent graphics drived ect working for like 40 minuted sweet!. Then im surfing the web getting my feet wet and bam it freezes and after every restart it freezes more frequently until it freezes at the windows loading screen. i go into bios the cpu is in the 30's everything looks fine there. tried each stick of ram they both produce the same problem the case is pretty much cold when i touch it i touched all the parts and after it freezes and i turn it off and there barley warm to the touch. ran memory diagnostic and no errors. repartitioned the hard drive and format with fresh copy of widowns conan was updating so it wasnt the game it hadnt even been played yet. it was barebones as far as software. working for 3 weeks no problems and now this. please help me if you know what it could be thanks!

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Did Device Manager show any conflicts? Do you have any minidump files? Does the Event Viewer show anything?

mcstorm

mcstorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
After i got thru the install of windows. I did get 1 blue screen that showed it was dumbing memory it went so fast i can never read the whole thing. then the freezes happened sooner and sooner after that.
I will check the device manager and event viewer when i get home. Thanks for posting

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Also you might want to shut down Auto Restart after System Failure.

Start Orb>Right Click on Computer>Properties>On the left side you will see Advaced settings. Clcik on that to get the Advanced settings up. There you will see that it will be in the Advanced tab and the 3rd entry there is Startup and Recovery. Click Settings.

In here you will see where the Memory Dump files are. Check that as well. If you have any i can analyze them for you. but the option you want is further down. You will see a check box with the option to have the system automatically restart after system shut down. Unchecl that and the BSOD, if they pop up again, will stay until you reset the machine. This will allow you to get the Stop Error code.

Cheers,
Mak

TomWij

TomWij

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Memory dumps are most of the time found here: The file called C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and the files in the directory C:\Windows\Minidump

mcstorm

mcstorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Will do that as soon as i get home. Hopefully it will not freeze before I can do all this.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have another power supply to test with...
what is the make and model number of the PSU...

mcstorm

mcstorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Unfotunatley i dont have another to test. its brand new as well. heres the specs:

BFG - 550-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply

Power your PC's processor, hard drives and graphics cards with this 550-watt power supply that features a thermostatically controlled 140mm cooling fan for improved heat dissipation.

Product Features
550-watt power supply; ATX 12V 2.2-compliant; dual 12V rails
Supports AGP, PCI and PCI-Express technologies; dual graphics card support
BFG Thermal Control Technology and quiet-operating thermostatically controlled 140mm cooling fan for improved heat dissipation
Built-in protection circuitry helps prevent overvoltage, overload and short circuits
One 24-pin motherboard connector, one 6-pin PCI-Express connector, one 8-pin PCI-Express connector, four 4-pin molex connectors, one 4-pin floppy connector and 4 SATA connectors
Includes US power cable, 4 mounting screws and user guide

mcstorm

mcstorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I found the source of the problem. I turned off the onboard lan and had no problems what so ever. :Installed a few games and ran them for hours. Im going to buy a network card to remedy the problem. I will post back with results. Was talking to my friend and never heard of the onboard lan cuasing problems like this, very strange.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
possibly a IRQ conflict...would be my guess

mcstorm

mcstorm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So I installed a pci enthernet card and it works like charm. BTW what does IRQ stand for.
Been using it for hours with no problem, using the net and everything

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

IRQ stands for Interrupt Request. It is the way a device gets it priority from the Processor. A better wxplination is on Wikipedia.

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt_request

Cheers,
Mak