Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer slow, what do I do?

• Please log in to reply

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hey,

I'm a regular myspace user for my music page and I need to know what kind of free virus protection I can find on here. I downloaded the free version of mcafee but it's not doing anything, at all. Just tells me I need to buy it, lol. Need to find free virus protection. I'm also a little oblivious as to what other things I need to keep my comp running smoothly. As of lately, it is very very slow, the mouse blinks, and when I shut down windows sprtcmd.exe and dsagent.exe come up while I'm trying to close it. I'm concerned that if I don't do something very very soon that my comp will completely fry!!! I need my computer so please help me... :) :) :)

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
AVG and Avast! are free anti-virus solutions. But for sure you need to have the removal experts here help you get your system clean.

Cheers,
Mak

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

AVG and Avast! are free anti-virus solutions. But for sure you need to have the removal experts here help you get your system clean.

Cheers,
Mak

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Hi ScarlettCherie,

Here is ur link :

hxxp://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-AVGAntiVir&subj=dl&tag=button

Regards,

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
How can I get mcafee out of my comp once and for all? I've done the whole add/remove thing and even gone into applications and it says it can't be removed... I have now added the new mcafee to my computer in attempt to delete it once more!!! Thanks! :-)

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I also used to have avg it worked great at first, but then it wouldn't scan all the files. I think part of it was because I have all kinds of old stuff in my computer that other people installed. Such as mcafee, adware filter, spamkiller, spamassassin, that's all I can think of off the top of my head lol. Thank you thank you thank you!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Download and run the McAfee Removal tool from here

http://majorgeeks.co...Tool_d5420.html

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay I went to the link, but which one of the downloads do I click on? There were several things that said mcafee removal tool on it. Sorry... I'm new at this. :-)

Edited by ScarlettCherie, 21 June 2008 - 10:15 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
No problem at all

Click on

USA MajorGeeks FL - |USA|

Any of those ones will do

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
You rock! It worked... :-D Mcafee is gone! Now I am wondering what quit keeper, adware filter, alwil software, SiteAdviser, Install Shield Installation, Symantec, and Uninstall Information are?

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Quit Keeper - seems to be some program to help you quit smoking

adware filter - related to Ad-Aware

alwil software - related to Avast anti-virus

SiteAdviser - related to McAfee site advisor, I would keep this, it tells you what sites are safe

Install Shield Installation - for installing programs

Symantec - Norton product

ScarlettCherie

ScarlettCherie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just downloaded avg(last time I had it, it wouldn't scan a lot of the files on my computer). Will any of the programs listed above prevent avg from working? Thank you so much for your time and patience... I just ran AVG and it says I have other virus protection on my computer not to run it until I uninstall other virus protection...

Edited by ScarlettCherie, 21 June 2008 - 11:43 AM.

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Yes if you have Avast installed as well as AVG you will get a conflict of Anti-Virus applications which is never good.

Cheers,
Mak

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
What he said

Personally I don't like AVG since the latest update, so I would recommend keeping Avast

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
I recommend to keep AVG 8.0. It's good antivirus.

Regards,