Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformat with no XP disc?

• Please log in to reply

Impulz

Impulz

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I remember on Win 98 and below, to reformat you typed C:/reformat or what ever it was in DOS.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if its possible to somehow do this when you are using XP?

Ive been told you can only reformat with your xp disc, but a system is a sytem isnt it?
If you want to wipe an operating system completely and boot up in dos from scratch, is it not possible?

:tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

It can be done with a Win98SE or WinME boot floppy but you will have to fdisk first to remove all Non-DOS partitions, fdisk again to set a Primary DOS partition and then format..

Of course, you will be left with a system that doesn't have an operating system on it !!

Murray

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

It can be done with a Win98SE or WinME boot floppy but you will have to fdisk first to remove all Non-DOS partitions, fdisk again to set a Primary DOS partition and then format..

Of course, you will be left with a system that doesn't have an operating system on it !!

So i would have to find someone with one of those discs or d/l it?

Im a little in the dark about fdisk'ing to remove the non-dos partitions and the primary dos partition, i will look into it thou by research.

Thnx anyways!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you are sure you want to format then see if the free version of killdisk helps, though what are you going to do for an Operating System

Drive Eraser

Impulz

Impulz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

If you are sure you want to format then see if the free version of killdisk helps, though what are you going to do for an Operating System

Drive Eraser

View Post

Yea good question.

Im not actually planning to do this.
I was just curious as ive been told that you can NOT do it with out a boot up disk.

Thnx for the link by the way.