Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive storage

• Please log in to reply

johnsinozz

johnsinozz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I have recently built a computer, specs below...

ASUS P5GC-MX 1333FSB MOTERBOARD
INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6750 CPU
2GB DDR2 667 RAM
SAMSUNG 500GB 16MB SATA2 HDD

Now everything seems to be working OK but when I right mouse click on

the c drive in explorer and select properties I see only 127GB Capacity

for the hard drive, can anyone help?

Cheers,
John.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Hopefully you are not running your computer with the FAT 32 file system. XP does have a 127 Gig limit if it is running in FAT 32. If you are running FAT 32 you can change that to the NTFS file system, which is much better, any time you want.

http://www.aumha.org...5/a/ntfscvt.php

Can you go to disk management in Administrative tools-computer management and see if there is a unallocated space on the hard drive. If you do not mind having a second partition in the computer you can format the unallocated space as another drive and use it as a data drive.

I like having multiple partitions on my computers. This lets me keep the OS and installed programs on one partition and all data on a different partition. That way i can use my Ghost made recoveryCD to reinstall my OS any time it gets borked by bad software.

SRX660

johnsinozz

johnsinozz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
great, thanks for your help!