Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with old CPU

• Please log in to reply

klausfyhn

klausfyhn

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello
I have a little problem with my old stationary computer (4 years old). It has an AMD Athlon 3000+, but when I start it up cold, it only run as an AMD Athlon 1700+. But if I restart it after 10 minutes or so, it runs on full speed. What could be wrong and what can I do about it?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely the tiny battery on the motherboard is dead and needs replacing. The BIOS is reverting to default when the computer is cold booting, and after running a while the bios is resetting itself for the CPU. A new cold boot just starts the BIOS all over again. By the way you can replace the battery while the computer is still running, just be very careful to only mess with the battery. If you don't feel safe doing it while running you do not have to have the computer running, but it will go thru the default again one more time.

http://www.hardwares.../printpage/81/1

SRX660

klausfyhn

klausfyhn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll try, but it is not very long ago that I changed the battery, but it didn't help. It was also what I thought it was.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely a motherboard replacement is the only fix here, and finding that old of a motherboard would be a chore. Far easier to just buy a newer computer. I just sold a real good Pentium 4 2.4 tower with 160 gig HD, 1024 MB of DDR-400 ram, Nvidia FX5200 video and SB live sound card for $150 because thats all i could get for it.

SRX660

klausfyhn

klausfyhn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I think I'll just use it as it is then. But thanks for the help.