Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP repair intall with OEM cd?

• Please log in to reply

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
After a recent Windows update, I booted my computer to find the lovely and wonderful blue screen of death. I’ve been able to determine that it is not a hardware issue, and that I need to do a repair install. My only problem now is that I have an OEM version of XP. Is there a way for me to do a repair install with an oem or even an upgrade version?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If your Windows is an OEM install and you have an OEM key, you can use your OEM CD to repair it.

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I guess i should clarify - I have the OEM key and CD but but I don't have the repair option available to me in windows setup. Is there a way around to do a repair install in this situation?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried booting into safe mode...if it works try system restore...

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Have you followed the guide above:

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

The Repair option is not on the list at first. That is the Recovery Console. You must choose install and accept the License Agreement and then Repair option will become available.

Cheers,
Mak

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
yes, I've gone through that, and the repair option is not available to me. It's my understanding that this is due to me having and OEM copy of XP. Is there a work around for this?

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

It is not due to having a OEM copy. I have several OEM copies of XP and i am able to repair each and every one of them. There is something else holding back your repair option other than being OEM.

Cheers,
Mak

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I would certainly appreciate anyhelp I can get resolving this problem. Right now, when I boot using windows, I get the following error message:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Sounds like a repair-install should resolve this problem, but as I mentioned, Once I get into the Windows set-up (after accepting the terms and conditions), repair is not an option available to me. Is there something I need to do in recovery console? I'm not sure where to go with this now and any help is greatly appreciated!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello piggyprobe...

Let's see if doing a system restore from Recovery Console will get you running.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

wannabe1

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
[quote name='wannabe1' date='Jun 22 2008, 09:54 AM' post='1267357']
Hello piggyprobe...

Let's see if doing a system restore from Recovery Console will get you running.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter". - when I do this, I am not prompted to login, nor do I have the option of choosing and installation to be repaired. I am only given the C:\> prompt.

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
[list]
[*]Type cd \ and press "Enter". - I get a message that says the path or file specified is not valid.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the C:\> prompt, type dir and press "Enter". In the resulting list, do you see an entry for "Windows"?

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
C:\>dir
Directory of C:\
An error occurred during directory enumeration

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Not a good sign...

Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r)

Does the disk check start?

piggyprobe

piggyprobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
It does (running now) when trying this previously, it stopped about 35% in.. will report how it does this time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let it run even if it appears to stall. I've had two machines with similar problems recently...corrupt file system. One started after running the disk check...it took almost 11 hours to complete. The other machine had a bad hard drive and replacing that resolved the problem. If you see the disk check recovering a lot of files, you are likely looking at a bad drive.

Once the check completes...if it completes...it will leave you at the command prompt again. Type exit and press "Enter"...let the machine try to boot normally.