Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need advice on heatsink

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I,m using an Gigabyte GA 81945PL-G Mobo with an P4 3.2 socket 775. The heat sink and fan hook to the board with those plastic clips and I'm running hot and shutting down. I need to chanbe from that type. How would you clip another heatsink to the board. It has four holes. Do I need a special clip to attach to the board. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 4-pin heatsink is the intended heatsink solution for Socket 775.
If you're overheating the initial thing to do is lay the computer on its side and take the case side off and see if the shutting off stops.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
What would laying the tower on it's side do? Don't the heat sinks come with a bottom plate for the motherboard so you can install a heatsink that will keep the proper pressure on the CPU. I believe this is the problem with this one, the plastic clips are very strong.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you use thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink...

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yes thermal paste was used. I Keep artic silver around. I am very familiar with the process of heat sink and the cpu. I just need to find a better heatsink that the stock Intel one that came with the cpu. The plastic clips are weak and don't hold that heat sink firmly enough on the cpu. Could you recommend a good type for this socket 775. I believe a square one would be better that the round, it would have more surface of the heat sink on the cpu.

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Picky,
Take a look at the Frosty Tech site. Reviews and ratings of many HSF's.
Good luck.
jst42day

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
thanks, this is a 4 pin power hook up, I have to keep that in mind. Thanks for your time. Picky

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

thanks, this is a 4 pin power hook up, I have to keep that in mind. Thanks for your time. Picky

Picky,
Just go through the site and read and compare. If I remember correctly the site is also a forum. Ask questions there or contact the manufacturers.
Lots of good stuff there.
Be careful that you don't get hung up with trying to get the 'coldest' HSF. Look at the ratings and compare the numbers to the stock Intel cooler.
Do you need to get the coldest? Probably not. It's up to you.
Also Google for other reviews of HSF's. There's enough info out there to drive you crazy.
Enjoy.
jst42day

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I have looked at many already, it will drive you nuts. I have keyed in on a thermaltake CL-P0378. I like the size "not to big". And it's quiet. I will look at the reviews. Thanks

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Also look at the Thermalright 92 as well as the Noctua's.
You'll be crazy soon.
jst42day

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Another good choice is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, it slots straight into the standard motherboard clips.

Here is a slideshow of me changing mine not too long ago. Under heavy load, my processor runs about 10C cooler, so I was happy with that.

A great cooler for the price.

Cheers

Troy

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Are those plastic clips strong enough to hols or is the screw mount better. I know you have to pull the board for the screw mount. Picky

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I did not remove the motherboard, there is no extra supporting bracket.

I simply removed the standard cooler (unclip the four corners up), and installed the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (clip the four corners down).

It was really simple, I was surprised. It holds strong enough, it is very secure.

Troy

Edited by troy, 22 June 2008 - 07:53 AM.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks That sounds good. It looks like a tight fit but the gigabyte board here is about the same. Thanks Picky

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It is a tight fit, the northbridge heatsink is rather large on this motherboard. I have the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3, and I almost thought it wasn't going to fit at all.

As you can see from one of the pictures, there's about 1mm clearance after fully installing and clipping the unit down.

Cheers

Troy