Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Devices and CD's got malware ?

• Please log in to reply

Lazures

Lazures

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

I had a Sony mp4 player and it was working nice,when I didnt know anything bout computers.

Today,I plugged my USB cable.I was going to copy some mp3's to player.Opened USB Drive and BOOM ! Kaspersky gave an alert
in Drivers Recycler.I didnt even know Mp4 Player had a Recycler ? :)

I tought it was a false positive ( is that what you call it ? I dont know. ) So I did a bit search ( I use this sentence a lot ? :) ) about Sony's mp4 players.

Well,I was shocked by what I saw.It wasnt a false positive,it was true ! Yes Sony was an official malware distrubitor,thats what I wanted to see ever.Whatever it seems thier anti-piracy staff was a bit,umm,how can I say this..I know ! Malware friendly ! My search results tell me that its a rootkit with some security holes( big holes :) ).

And according to google,they also have something that is changing your DNS ( ?! ). I dont now thats true but,there are 2 sources proving that.

However mine was completely diffrent.It was a Trojan Dialer.It seems mp4 player came with a video that has Trojan.Thats very funny.Fortunately Kaspersky blocked it.

I made a more search,but this time I added the date of today.It seems Sony no longer uses these rootkits.If anyone still has these,a site is providing information about removing these.

http://www.worship.c...hiteInc/xcp.htm

However I dont know if this works use it at your own risk ! I do not guarantee anything and I'm NOT associated with site.

Sorry if moderators dont accept that.

Edited by Lazures, 21 June 2008 - 02:43 PM.

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
You dug up some old news :)

ScHwErV will probably eat me for using Wikipedia as my source but.... http://en.wikipedia....tection_scandal

That will give you some background on the issue.

If your interested in its removal I would recommend you take a look at an article written over at Bleepingcomputer.com

http://www.bleepingc...topic34904.html

To be clear, this happened in the past and isn't in place on new Sony CDs.

Edited by Mike, 22 June 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Lazures

Lazures

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thank you :)

Well I didnt know if thats on my computer.I'll try now.

Really thank you.When I saw e-mail of this topic reminder,I taught it was gonna be some kind of ''punishment'' lol

Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
If you aren't already aware, if your interested, Symantec offer a removal tool for the Sony BMG rootkit if thats what your infected with :)

EndProductUser

EndProductUser

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Heh... I had a Sony 8gb flash drive that came with svchost.exe on it, I couldn't get it off, so I had to return it. However, If their robots ever start an uprising, they will have enough practice will malware to shut them all down before they kill us all.

Edited by EndProductUser, 11 December 2009 - 07:30 PM.