Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse and keyboard problem

• Please log in to reply

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Pip
  • 9 posts
power flashed and now my keyboard and mouse will not work. when the power went off i let it be for a day. then i turn it on today and my keyboard and mouse will not work. i restarted, switched around the usb cords, i tested both my keyboard and mouse on another comp and it works fine. help please

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you borrow a PS/2 mouse and keyboard from another machine? That way you might be able to get into BIOS and set the defaults, or go into device manager and reinstall any missing drivers for hardware.

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have no idea what a ps/2 mouse is. and i started up my comp and hit a few buttons trying to test it and it said stuff about my comp and at the bottom said keyboard failure.

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
double post.

Edited by hhhhhh, 21 June 2008 - 04:19 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
A PS/2 mouse is the regular kind with the small round plug, that isn't a USB. Some of the newer machines don't even have connections for them.

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

A PS/2 mouse is the regular kind with the small round plug, that isn't a USB. Some of the newer machines don't even have connections for them.

mine doesn't have 1

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is this a wireless keyboard and mouse...
if its usb..try a different slots...the power surge/flash may have damaged the usb controller

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

is this a wireless keyboard and mouse...
if its usb..try a different slots...the power surge/flash may have damaged the usb controller

it's a usb, and the surge couldn't have done it because i tested them both with my laptop. and i've tried switching slides,it doesn't work edit. my moniter has a usb plugin and it works

Edited by hhhhhh, 21 June 2008 - 06:06 PM.

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
bump, still need help.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I't entirely possible that the power flash, whatever that is, has caused the BIOS to be corrupt, but without a keyboard I don't know how you could go about resetting or reflashing the BIOS. This sounds like the sort of problem that could be fixed or at least assessed by an experienced person in a few minutes but would result in hours of frustration for someone not experienced.

hhhhhh

hhhhhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yeah, that's probably it, but how do i fix it with a keyboard or mouse?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try pluging in a usb flash drive into the slot your trying to use...if it sees the flash drive while booting...(during the bios post) then try a standard usb mouse...NOT the wireless one...if it works...reinstall the drivers that came with the wireless setup