Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Noob Computer builder needs help with BIOS

• Please log in to reply

JD_Ham

JD_Ham

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am really hoping someone can help me here. Alright, here's the problem. I have just built my first system from scratch. Here's my complete build:

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS

Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm Full-Range Fan CPU Cooler

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P16004GK

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Now here's the problem. I have gotten it to install Windows. Loaded provided ASUS CD. Everything works until I reboot or turn the computer off. Once I do that and reboot, windows does not load. The power comes on, I can hear the Video Card running, but nothing. The only thing I can do is turn off the comp, clear the CMOS and then it boots to a screen that tells me "Please enter setup to recover BiOS settings, Press F1 to run setup, Press F2 to load default values and continue".

IF I press F1, I can go into the BIOS setting, I have tried to set the priority boot drive as my HD, but when I save and reboot, I get the problem of not booting into the system (fans run, vid card runs, but nothing on screen). If (instead of F1) I press F2, I can get in windows and do everything that would seem normal but when the comp is turned off and rebooted, I am back where I started from.

I really enjoyed building my comp, but I am at a loss. I figure it has to be something I am doing in the BIOS setting, but I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help this beginner builder!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This may be a sign of a defective board and/or a defective power supply. If its under warranty, RMA the board. This is not normal behaviour for a new board.

JD_Ham

JD_Ham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Geez, I hope it doesn't come to that. Thanks for the advice.

Update on the problem. I only encounter the problem when the computer is shutdown and then brought back up. IF it reboots, it comes back up fine. I am beginning to wonder if I have a bad mobo.

Hopefully someone can help me.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the issue only occurs from a cold start (ie when it's switched off) then it may be a power supply issue as components take more power to actually spin up from cold than they do to keep going over a reboot.