Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Pro SP2 Fatal Error

• Please log in to reply

demeggy

demeggy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Lo all,

well Im trying to get my copy of windows reinstalled as I recently ha a nasty virus that's done irrepairable damage to my system.

When I tried to delete the existing partition, it wouldn't let me, so I chose to install win xp over the current version, which apparently deleted it, then begun the installation process.

I then get to the actual install wizard, where in the first few seconds, the sod pops up with a Fatal Error: 80096001, something to do with logs and verifying trust etc.

Any ideas? Massive help'd be appreciated as my PC is actually my home office based machine and without it, I can't do any work from home (a massive part of my work).

Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Booting from your XP cd and choosing delete partitions and full format should work. If it does not, then you can try a FDISK from http://<strong class...span></strong>/.
Also try a DBAN which will wipe the HD destroying all. (Found in my signature).

demeggy

demeggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I'll have a go at that thanks and get back to you!

demeggy

demeggy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay,

"DBan Finished with Non-Fatal Errors.
This is usually caused by discs with bad sectors."

What the heck does this mean?

I do have a spare HD that hasn't been used yet which is sitting in my toolbox I could try, but that's a [bleep] of a lotta fuss, and its about half the size of my current one.

Any ideas what I need to do?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you run it in interactive mode or use quick commands?
If interactive mode, you must select the device.

If also means that your drive has bad sectors, so it can not complete the task.

Also try a few other choices in Dban.

You can try the free version of KILLDISK

EDIT: What is the HD manufacturer? Go to there site and get their drive diagnostics and test the drive.

Edited by 123Runner, 22 June 2008 - 01:30 PM.