I feel for you. It is a real pain but I am glad to see that you had the foresight to keep backups. I have been through this myself a few times and know the hastle and frustration.
The day I had enough I went out and bought Acronis True Image
. Now I always have a workable image to fall back on in case of disaster. The price was right. There is also Norton Ghost
but I went for the less expensive one and have not regretted it one minute.
I guess this closes the case for us, unfortunately, but I would like to share some helpfull tips with you that have kept my system squeeky clean even where we often have to go.
Take care and good luck,
------------Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:I strongly recommend installing the following applications
To protect yourself further
- Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
- Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
- How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
- IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
- MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
- Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?