Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nother Aurora Popup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi monizuki,

Were you able to use the Recovery Console?

Trevuren

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi monizuki,

I am not an expert at this, my field is malware, but from what I have been led to believe, the original version is essential to most recovery procedures. I have been told that in most cases it has to be a CD of exactly the same version.

Did you not get a true copy or at least an OEM version of the software when you bought the system?

The company that sold you the system always has a copy of the versions they sell.

Is the data on your system irreplacable or is it like most of us just normal junk.
Have you kept regular backups in case of a crash? If so, the problem does not loom as big in case of the need to re-install your system.

I'll keep poking around.

Trevuren

monizuki

monizuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I have toddlers, so the original has been used as a psuedo car across the wood floor one day...so useless, and I have had the forethought of the most important stuff keeping on drives that the other computer still has acess too, so I've already copied them onto the other computer, so it's not the end of the world...just REALLY hate the whole process as I've got to reset up the whole network and everything. Mine was the host computer, with the printer and everything so it's jsut a billion tedious steps. Thanks for the help though. :tazz:

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi monizuki,

I feel for you. It is a real pain but I am glad to see that you had the foresight to keep backups. I have been through this myself a few times and know the hastle and frustration.

The day I had enough I went out and bought Acronis True Image. Now I always have a workable image to fall back on in case of disaster. The price was right. There is also Norton Ghost but I went for the less expensive one and have not regretted it one minute.

I guess this closes the case for us, unfortunately, but I would like to share some helpfull tips with you that have kept my system squeeky clean even where we often have to go.

Take care and good luck,

------------
Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)

Regards,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi monizuki,

How is your system?

Did you get the right CD's for the repair?

Regards,

Trevuren

monizuki

monizuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No I had to format and use this other one, however, I will have access to this other cd in the future, so should I need it I can use it to repair in the future.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi monizuki,

Sorry to hear about the reformat. Unfortunately it happens.

I strongly advise you to use the prevention measures outlined in one of my previous post to limit your future chances of reinfection.

Regards,

Trevuren