Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New gaming computer.

• Please log in to reply

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Going SLI or Crossfire is not advisable as it costs more money for the performance you get. You'll be paying for 2 cards and the performance increase you get is ~20%. We only advise you to go that route if you're going to use 2 high-end cards because using 2 low-end cards would not even beat the performance you'll get with a med to high end cards.

For the wireless card, I suggest picking up something from any of these manufacturers: Linksys, DLink or Belkin.

Kamille

Advertisements

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Wow I'm speechless that you're jealous of my build. :)

I am having a tad bit of trouble finding a good Linksys, DLink, or Belkin wireless card. Maybe someone could possibly post a link to one that they highly recommend???

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
How about this Linksys one? It doesn't say that its works for Vista but I found a driver for it. I also read a couple of things online and people have confirmed that it works under Vista 64-bit.

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well hopefully that driver does work. Do you happen to have the link for it?

mts51091

mts51091

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
so whats your total look like?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Well hopefully that driver does work. Do you happen to have the link for it?

You can find it here, just make sure you download the right driver for the version of router you have (they have version 4 and 4.1).

Kamille

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I can't find what version the card you suggested is. It's not is the specs I don't think. My total so far is 1,064.37.

http://secure.newegg...tNumber=8119392

I changed my PSU from 750watts to 500watts because I was told somewhere that's really all I need for this build. I also went to 800 ram instead of 1066 because I guess I won't notice a difference and it saves money.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Eh I wouldn't trust 500 watts there. Your running a LOT of high end parts. I would go to at least 600 watts or just go back to the Corsair one. We don't want anything frying now do we :)

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok I thought 500 was a bit low. I put the 750 back on. When you talk about the version of the router do you mean firmware version? If so mine is 4.07.07 so I'm not to sure if that is 4 or 4.1. Do you know?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

When you talk about the version of the router do you mean firmware version? If so mine is 4.07.07 so I'm not to sure if that is 4 or 4.1. Do you know?

No, the version is for the wireless network card and you can find that when you buy it. As I mentioned before, there's 4.0 and 4.1, here's a picture of one where the version can be seen.

http://www.linksys.c...p;ssbinary=true

Kamille

Advertisements

tyroto411

tyroto411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Oh, I see, I was hoping it would be easy to locate it.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You can save some money and get this Silverstone 600W instead, this can handle the 800GT and the rest of your system.

Also checkout stettybet0's post here for more suggestions (use it as a reference only).

Edited by kamille316, 30 June 2008 - 04:27 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Thanks for the reference, Kamille. :) Everything I said in that post is also applicable here. As for the wireless networking card, I'm currently using this Linksys WMP54GS card on Vista 64-bit. Not only that, but Vista automatically installed drivers for it as soon as I plugged it in, so there's no need to hunt for drivers. It was truly plug-and-play. Also, it is much cheaper on Amazon.com, so I'd recommend getting it from there.