Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't stop freezing

• Please log in to reply

andrewreturned

andrewreturned

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My computer started to freeze every 6-8 hours about a month ago. I thought it would eventually go away, but I was too hopeful. I need to find out why this is happening and get rid of this problem. I don't know where to start. Everything else seems normal. Nothing else strange seems to happen besides the freezing.

Edited by andrewreturned, 22 June 2008 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Hello,

Well there are a couple of places you can start. First Run MemTest86 to test out your RAM.

hxxp://www.memtest86.com/download.html

From there Download CoreTEmp to test your CPU Temps and ATiTool to test out your GPU TEmps.

hxxp://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
hxxp://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

This will allow you to fully test your system to see if it is just overheating or if the RAM is the issue. From there we can continue to find out what could possibly be causing this problem.

Cheers,
Mak

LoginPassword

LoginPassword

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Does it come with an error?
Because maybe that guy is right you might do have a overheat...nah I think it's the CPU
but if it's new then maybe the motherboard

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Start keeping track of time and date of the freezes, then look in your event viewer and see what is there in yellow or red( more likely). You might even look now and see each time the computer froze up there. Right click and do a properties on each error and write down the problem, then look it up on google. I found once that a network connection was causing lockup's of a computer ( spyware trying to communicate with a server). Unplugging the network caused error messages, but the malware forum here let me find the malware easily to get rid of it.

You also might try typing in msconfig in the run box and see what programs are running, etc. There may be a program causing the problem that you can disable in msconfig.

You could post any errors here as we might know what to do about them.

SRX660

andrewreturned

andrewreturned

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

My computer started to freeze every 6-8 hours about a month ago. I thought it would eventually go away, but I was too hopeful. I need to find out why this is happening and get rid of this problem. I don't know where to start. Everything else seems normal. Nothing else strange seems to happen besides the freezing.

Thank you for helping me.

I don't know how to use the ati tool and the mem test. Also the core temp program gives me this error saying "This is not an Intel "Core" Architecture based processor. This program will not continue.