Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ad yieldmanager... [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The weird looking text format is only occuring on firefox. Also, it appears to only occur during or after I login to a site. I checked both Opera and IE and it is not doing it.

Advertisements

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok...strange. Now I noticed a bunch of websites (when using Firefox) won't load the background or pictures. Some pages won't load at all. Some are fine :)

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

After running ATF cleaner this happens sometimes. In firefox press Crtl + Shift + Del key or go to tools > Clear private data.

Then do a refresh by pressing F5. You should be fine.

I'm not sure what your yahoo login issues could have been caused by, reboot your computer and see if the issue resolves itself - if not you could post in our web browser forums for help as I won't be of much help :)

As far as your virus problems are concerned - your logs look clean :)

The below steps have some important tips on how to stay safe and keep up-to-date, so be sure to read it!

Step 1. Flushing old Restore Points and creating a new one

Right-click on "My Computer." The "System Properties" dialogue box will appear, showing a number of tabs. From here you can reset System Restore and configure Automatic Updates.

First, click the System Restore tab.

* Check the box beside "Turn off System Restore"
* Click "Apply"
* At the prompt, click "Yes"

Wait while your system deletes existing Restore Points, this may take a few moments.

* Uncheck the box beside "Turn off System Restore"
* Click "Apply"
* At the prompt, click "Yes"

Your system will now create a new Restore Point.

Step 2. Configuring Automatic Updates

Click the Automatic Updates tab. Choose the update option that best suits your needs, but be sure that Automatic Updates is not turned off. Windows XP will now notify you and download important updates and security patches as they become available.
Click "OK" to save your new settings and close the System Properties dialogue.

Step 3. Preventing future infection

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer in order to prevent future malware infections. Please take these recommendations seriously; these few simple steps can stave off the vast majority of spyware problems.

In order to protect yourself against spyware, you should consider installing and running the following free programs:

SpywareBlaster
A tutorial on using SpywareBlaster to prevent spyware from ever installing on your computer may be found here.

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
http://www.spywarewa...uc/resource.htm

Make sure to keep these programs up-to-date and to run them regularly, as this can prevent a great deal of spyware hassle.

Also make sure to run your antivirus software regularly, and to keep it up-to-date.

There are many programs that can be used for your protection, most falling within the three main categories of anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall. Please be careful to never run more than one program of the same category in resident mode, as conflicts between the different programs can actually decrease your protection.

Please also read Tony Klein's excellent article: How I got Infected in the First Place

Hopefully this should take care of your problems! Good luck. :)

Please post back and tell me if everything is OK, so that I may mark this thread as Resolved.

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Clearing the Private data on Firefox fixed that problem. It also fixed the login problem on yahoo.

I had yahoo music up for over an hour tonight and didn't get redirected once! What a relief... You can consider this problem resolved :)

I went through and created a new restore point and made sure my updates were auto installing.

Just one last question if you don't mind. I always see different advice on which adware to run. I was running Spybot Search and Destroy, but then heard that wasn't as good as it used to be, so I loaded Ad-Aware and Spyware Doctor. I see you recommend Spyware Blaster. Also, I still have Malwarebytes and Super-Anti Spyware still on my computer from doing all these scans...should I delete those? Should I delete the rest and just run one...perhaps just Ad-Aware or Spyware Blaster.
Lastly, is Windowsfirewall good enough or should I consider another that is offered online.

Again, thank you so much for all the help. My computer has never ran faster. I will certainly come back to Geeks to Go if I ever have a problem again. :) :)

Darin

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there Spyware Blaster is a passive protector, you can find out more in that tutorial that I linked for you.

As for the Anti-spyware program, You do have way to many installed. Your antivirus should be actively scanning your computer all the time - but if you want to keep an antispyware program with realtime protection stick with Spyware Doctor and uninstall the rest. Another good one to keep as an "On demand" scanner (use it when you need it) is MalwareBytes.

I personally only use the Windows Firewall, but third party ones are said to be better. From what I hear, Comodo Firewall seems to be the favorite at the moment. Be sure to only have one firewall running at any given time!

Hope this helps.

Any more questions?

Edited by Mike, 03 July 2008 - 02:22 AM.

dpape

dpape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No more questions. My computer is running great (and it is not occasionally locking up like it used to).

Thanks again, you've been a great help :)

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
I'm glad everything is running smoothly,

Have a great day still! Happy 4th of july!

Mike

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.