Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help urgent im in trouble

• Please log in to reply

fmjaguar7

fmjaguar7

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i just got my new laptop with windows XP home. it starting acting funny so i decided to just start over about a week after i got it... i put in the windows XP disc and told it to install XP, when it was finished i was very upset it has windows XP but that is IT noooo other software such as IE or anything. but when i checked my hard drive it still had the same amount of disk space taken up as before... i think it installed a second copy of XP without deleting the original OS but now i cant get to it so im stuck with a vanila version of XP (which i dont much like the idea of since i am somewhat new to PC's ) and only half my HDD space... some please tell me how to use the XP disc to get it back to factory setting, how it was when i pulled it out of the box...... please help im freakin out that i might have screwed up big time

thanks in advance for any guidance on this

Edited by fmjaguar7, 23 June 2008 - 01:07 AM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello fmjaguar7 and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

The only thing you probably did wrong is not format your hard drives before installing windows XP.
(This makes the hard drive completely empty and leaves no data behind.)

To do this, boot with the win XP CD and when you get to choose which drive you want to install it on you need to press a key to remove the current partitions. (I think it's the D key, I'm not 100% sure, It will say in the menu though.)
Make sure you have your CDs with your Drivers handy as straight after you install windows XP you might want to install your Video card etc.

I hope this was enough information,
Regards,
Olrik

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
What make and model is your laptop. A lot of laptops today come with a backup/restore.
When you look at my computer do you have only a c drive and a cd/dvd drive listed or are there more drives.
Cheers
peterm

Edited by peterm, 23 June 2008 - 01:22 AM.

fmjaguar7

fmjaguar7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it is the D key to delete partition but when i tried that it said i was unable to do that action. but that was when i ran the CD from windows not from BOOT.

as for the second reply it is a Sager (Compal FL92) and i only have one HDD C:// no second partitioned drive D:// that is the DVD drive since theres no partition

and the only thing that really bugs me is the fact that it is not like it was when i got it out of the box... no office 60-day trial, no internet explore,... when i started it the first time it played music and this lady was speaking during setup when it asked for my name, if i wanted to connect to the internet or anything just OS and thats it, kinda freakin me out, i tried to roll back to a previous date but no checkpoints exist, do i need to ship it back to factory? or is there a way i can get original config back?

thanks agian for replying tonight, :)

Edited by fmjaguar7, 23 June 2008 - 02:17 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
before you go to far
go to this site and ask do they have a recovery cd. If not we will have to reinstall from scratch.
You will not have any programs like you did when you bought the machine.
click on me
cheers
peterm

fmjaguar7

fmjaguar7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
aight, thank you guys very much... ill update if they have a disc or not when i find out :)

fmjaguar7

fmjaguar7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
nope no discs but this morning i put in the CD and botted it before i loaded XP and it allowed me to delete partitioned part on the drive so i started fresh from there and everything seems to be working it put internet explorer and outlook and all the other apps that came with it originally... thanks for all the help though guys it was much appreciated and i will be sure to be back if i ever have problems in the future

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
We're happy to help, Good luck! :)

Regards,
Olrik