Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My OS is a tangled mess

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Sorry for the slower response this time :)
The network here at work sort of crashed :)

Have you tried starting up a game now? (Spore?)
Lets see if it still gives any problems, If it does, describe whats going wrong.
If it crashes go to the event viewer again and look in "system" around the time of crash.
Copy that error into the next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I tried unzipping the Photoshop folder and it crashed. Mainly what happens is it gets about halfway through unzipping it and just stops. My mouse arrow turns into an hourglass and it says (Not Responding)-

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 6/23/2008
Time: 5:19:00 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: LAUREN-G1Z1WYFU
Description:
The server {4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 6/23/2008
Time: 5:19:01 AM
User: N/A
Computer: LAUREN-G1Z1WYFU
Description:
The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Edited by Lovltn848, 23 June 2008 - 11:39 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Put your windows XP CD into the CD drive.
Then press start and select run.
In the runbox type "sfc /scannow" (without quotation)
After it's done, reboot the PC.

Then try again.

Regards,
Olrik

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
The scan has stopped in the middle and I got a window that says "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original versions of these files" I have the options "Retry" "More Information" or "Cancel"

The CD I have is the one I formatted this computer with, but the CD says "Windows Media Edition". The scan apparently wants "Windows Professional".

Edited by Lovltn848, 23 June 2008 - 04:32 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik

Lovltn848

Lovltn848

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Okay, I followed the list in the second link and things seems to be running a bit smoother. One of the programs found 7 items and deleted them. The other programs found nothing. I didn't start a thread in the malware forum because I really think these are technical problems not caused by malware. I ran the "sfc /scannow" again and I got the same message halfway through, but I pressed a button and the scan finished.

edit: I manually reset the photoshop preferences after reinstalling it. It worked, yay!

When I started this thread, I completely forgot to address some of the other OS-related problems I have that I've been meaning to fix. A while back my computer got the bravia x virus, and before I came here to get help, I tried to remove it myself (bad idea, I know). One suggested solution I found on google was to go into safe mode and delete my windows accessories. I got nothing out of that except for losing "Paint" and all of my windows games. I don't know how to reinstall them. Could you help me with that?

Also, ever since I reformatted this computer, the "Shut Down" button, along with "Reboot" does absolutely nothing. My computer just stays on. The same thing happens when a program asks if I want to reboot. Nothing happens. Can you tell me what's going on with this?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Lovltn848, 23 June 2008 - 10:51 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

One of the programs found 7 items and deleted them. The other programs found nothing. I didn't start a thread in the malware forum because I really think these are technical problems not caused by malware.

You'd be surprised what can be caused by malware.
I suggest you open a thread in the malware forum anyway to get a clean heath bill from the experts first.
After you get the clean bill I'm more then willing to assist you further to repair your windows.

Regards,
Olrik