Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying problems with my pc

• Please log in to reply

peach12

peach12

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So guys, I purchased a new pc which I got built for me by my uncle who has now moved to Australia and can no longer fix my PC when I got probs with it, anyway, here is the problems.

I downloaded a virus by accident (retard over here) and it was really annoying, about a 100 popups a minute, randomly opening programs, I searched google and removed it but was told to still do a format, so I burn windows to a disk with my stepdads laptop as my pc only has a DVD reader, and I goto format.. When installing windows it did NOT ask me to partition my 500GB drive and just installed straight onto my 40 GB drive overwriting all the files I had on there (nothing important).

Now Ive run out of disk space, on the 40GB drive and I am experiencing really slow load times / when i play games my FPS is obismal, I right clicked on my C drive (500 GB 1) and clicked format but didnt do anything.

When booting up my keyboard doesnt actually start to work until windows is loaded which is VERY annoying, and as I'm only 16 I cant go out and purchase 1 myself, my mum says this 1 is fine and wont get me a new 1.. (parents :/)

At startup it asks me to choose which drive I would like to startup with, and I cant because my keyboard does nothing so the 30 seconds just pass by and it boots up on my F drive.

All I really want is to format my C drive / delete windows off it and copy everything off my F drive to my C drive and use that in future, and as a + it also seems my windows disk isnt working now and will have to wait for +2weeks till my stepdad returns home from work for the weekend with his laptop.

Is there a way I can get everything cleared off my C drive and copy everything off the F drive to the C drive and then delete everything off the F drive (lol sorry for the stupid grammar :))

Hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say, here is some information that you might need.

CPU - Q6600 @ stock settings
GPU - 8800 GT @ stock settings
OS - Windows XP SP2

Right Click My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Edit -

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Hope you guys can help me, thanks :)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

so I burn windows to a disk with my stepdads laptop as my pc only has a DVD reader, and I goto format..

Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Where did you download Windows from?

Murray

peach12

peach12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
private torrent site as my other disk is broke, I have the original key etc.

my original disk crashes whilst installing and just doesnt do anything..

Edited by peach12, 23 June 2008 - 11:21 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
In order to have your entire hdd recognized, you need to streanline a cd with XP and SP2. Then do a clean re-format and re-install wiping out all partitions before you install XP.

Murray

peach12

peach12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thats 1 of the problems, I goto install XP but it doesnt ask me to do delete a partition it just makes another install against the ones I already have, also my keyboard isnt working during boot up, after the screen which asks me to go into the bios my keyboard goes off and doesnt come bnack till windows has actually loaded..

peach12

peach12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there not a way i can completly wipe my C drive clean without a format and then just install a fresh version of windows on there? or instead of installing it just copy my whole F drive onto the C drive, would that no work?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It would appear your torrent download is faulty. Suggest you borrow someone else's XP SP2 cd and use that to install using your key code. You will have to call Microsoft to activate it but, as long as your key code is genuine, there will be no problem.

Murray

peach12

peach12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wouldnt it be easier with just completly deleting EVERYTHING off the C drive and then copying EVERYTHING off the F drive onto it? I'll have to ask around for people who have a legit windows cd, also, if I put another windows in that I found, it says press any key to boot from cd, but I cant because my keyboard isnt loaded yet, and after the 15 seconds or w/e it says, NTLDR is missing, and I need to reboot.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you wiped the c: drive, then you would also be wiping out your boot.ini file and the system would never start.

If you can't find the proper XP cd, then contact Microsoft for a replacement.

Boot into BIOS and make sure the USB option is enabled. The keyboard (if USB) should be recognozed right away. If not, get a PS/2 keyboard to use for the time being.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Murray