Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't delete network printer - spooler stops.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, one of our Vista machines had an issue with the print spooler. At random intervals throughout the day, this lady's spooler would stop working. She would have to log off and back on again. Then, her printers would run for a while. Sometimes, she could go nearly a whole day without any problems. Other times, though, she'd has to log off and on again several times a day. We finally narrowed the issue down to a business copier that she could print to. She said she never used the copier as a printer before so I figured I would just delete the printer. Everytime I try to delete the printer, though, the print spooler stops so it won't allow the printer to delete. I've changed drivers, ports, etc, but still can't get this printer to delete. Until I do, it seems as if she will have to be logging off and on to her PC all day.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Start->Run->Services.msc

Open Print spooler service and set the Startup type to "Automatic" set the service status to "Started".

Also, set both the things as stated above for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

Restart the computer and try again.

Regards,

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Thanks for the reply.

She isn't an administrator so can't start the print spooler herself. All of the items you mentioned ARE set to automatic. When the computer boots and she logs in, all of these services are running. It's not until you try to delete the printer that the spooler dies.

I can't fix this on the Admin side because network printers are user specific.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Magus

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Please reed this :

hxxp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q324757

hxxp://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm

Regards