Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Loading

• Please log in to reply

thequintz

thequintz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
WIn XP Ver 5.1 Service pack 2
When I try to start Win XP it will not load properly and displays strange almost unreadable messages during the loading. At times it just loops trying to load. then it will stop looping and display several messages and then will only load in Safe Mode with network etc. The message screen is not clear but contains misspellings and strange chacters.
I am gennerallly able to decipher the messages. But it willl only run in Safe Mode
I ran the windows repair from the Win XP CD
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

Are you using one of those Recovery/Restore cd's from Dell, HP, Compaq, etc or an original Microsoft retail cd?

Have you tried booting to the Recovery Console and running chkdsk /r?

Murray

thequintz

thequintz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I previously ran "Disk Cleanup"
I used the original Microsoft retail cd

ran chkskd /r as per your suggestion
Result Device driver stuck in an infinate loop ... Problem with device driver .... NV4_disp
Result: I can still run in Safe Mode but if I try to load other than Safe Mode the system will revert to the infinate loop

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
In safe-mode, uninstall the drivers for the grafic card, and then restart computer. After restart install vga drivers.

Regards,

thequintz

thequintz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
1.) After I uninstalled the nvidia drivers then rebooted (again could only load in Safe Mode)
2.) I installed new driver from Nvidia.
3.) Reboot only could in safe mode again
Problem persists

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

1.) After I uninstalled the nvidia drivers then rebooted (again could only load in Safe Mode)
2.) I installed new driver from Nvidia.
3.) Reboot only could in safe mode again
Problem persists

Do you have Nvidia chipset for your motherboard?

If so, update them as necessary.
If you have a chip-set driver CD, the update address
should be included on that.

Or visit Nvidia

Abydos

thequintz

thequintz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes I do have the Nvidia chipset on motherboard and updated the alll drivers.
According to Nvidia the problem looks as if the problem is the power supply.

I beleive the problem is with the graphics card as upon boot the messages displayed immediately after the BIOS messages flicker and are either wrong (e.i. where it should read "load" it may be be a "goaf" or "lajd" or something else, and the characters in the words will constantly change and flicker.

When I tried to look into the BIOS settings, the display messages also flicker and are strange, alonge with other strange chacters within the box lines.

As time goes by and I try all suggestions of loading updated drivers the symptons get worse. Now when I run in Safe Mode, I cannot get access to the network or online.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
If you do infact find that your video card driver is corrupt, or not working as intended, go to Nvidia's web site, search for your device driver , download the most currant/updated one, and follow the directions for installing it. Most often, it will come in a file that you can dclick and then follow on screen directions.

If its a differant device that is reporting a problem, go to that manufacutures web site and download the most up to day most currant driver adn follow the directions for installing it.

Regards,

thequintz

thequintz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have done exactely as you suggest. I have downloaded the latest driver for the graphics card from Navida, and installed it.
But the problem did not go away. Upon XP load I still get strange characters displayed and now I cannot even run in Safe Mode with Netrworking. If I try to restart windows normally it loops with the nv4_disp problem.

The message displayed characters as:
Safd Lodd with Ndtworkhng instead of Safe Load with Networking
Another exapmle of display:
Rtart Vhndnvs Nnrm'llx instead of Restart Windows Normally

The screen is full of these unreadable messsages unless you can decipher them to understand their meaning.

Now in Safe Mode with networking, the mouse pointer is inoperative, just stuck in place

Edited by thequintz, 24 June 2008 - 08:16 AM.

mirjel

mirjel

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
Ok. Go into safe mode, and DELETE your nvidia drivers (only your display drivers) fixes the problem.

start --> control panel --> add or remove programs --> nvidia drivers --> DISPLAY DRIVERS ONLY.

Once they are uninstalled try to start windows normally. Windows will load up and use the windows display drivers, as opposed to the nvidia drivers, which seem to be corrupted in your case.

Once you are back in windows, head on over to nvidia and re-install their drivers (I would suggest the most recent WHQL driver, NOT a beta driver). The most current driver for XP can be found here.

Regards,

thequintz

thequintz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thank you for your help, however your suggestion to delete the Navia display drivers, load new drivers etc. which I did, Note: I loaded the latest driver which was downloaded from the Navida site. After new driver was installed, and rebooted it worked but the display started to flicker after about 30 minuites then required a reboot.
Upon reboot the dreaded nv4_disp problem was back.

Net result:
When I went to buy a new card, at the store there was a Microsoft tech rep. who suggested I get an ATI card which he beleives that their drivers are more stable.
I bought a HD3450 ATI card, installed it and all seams OK. aftre running for a full 24 hours. Itl installed easily together with its drivers.

Thanks again for everyones help.