Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network speed 1/10th of advertised

• Please log in to reply

lz22

lz22

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am getting internet through a router and then a hub
the advertised speed was Speed (Down/Up): 864 Kbits/sec by 160 Kbits/sec
when I tested at dslreports.com it was 700 Kbs / 100 Kbs
when I download at rapidshare it is at most around 90Kbs

Could there be something in the router that is limiting my connection? How could I change it?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The true question is, did they say thats what you are getting or thats what they are "guranteeing" you will get. Most home connections are estimated speeds that no one will ever see. That depends on your distance from ISP hub, number of people on the same link and factors like that.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

The true question is, did they say thats what you are getting or thats what they are "guranteeing" you will get. Most home connections are estimated speeds that no one will ever see. That depends on your distance from ISP hub, number of people on the same link and factors like that.

jaxisland is right, Though I'd like to add something.

The advertised speed is usually at "perfect scenario", the further you are from your ISP the further away of the advertised speed you are.
You got the connection that promised you 864 Kbits/sec by 160 Kbits/sec. And your actual speed is 700 Kbs / 100 Kbs (tested by dslreport).
I may be bad at math, but I don't see a 1/10th of advertised speed :)
The speed you got at rapidshare depends on how far you are from the rapidshare server and howmuch upload the rapidshare server allows you to use. You cannot compare your download speed advertised to a download from a server like rapidshare.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
Olrik